East Region Financial Analyst - General Ledger
McClatchy is looking for a General Ledger Financial Analyst to support our local markets in the East region. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of general accounting principles including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and GAAP requirements. This position requires you to continuously evaluate your processes for improvement, make recommendations, and implement change. This position involves working effectively in a deadline driven environment with team members and regional leads, and with nontraditional hours.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinating entry process for journal entries.
- Performing variance analysis at month-end including explanations.
- Assisting in preparing information for internal and external audit.
- Performing/assisting with daily and month-end cash balancing.
- Producing Balance Sheet reconciliations for review by local and regional finance management.
- Working as a liaison between particular local newspaper departments and the regional finance team.
- Calculating finance related statistics for local, regional and corporate management.
- Performing accounting entries for fixed asset acquisition and disposal.
- Processing prepayments for appropriate recognition.
- Identifying areas of profit and process improvement within areas of responsibility.
- Coordinating activities performed by Infosys, and assisting with inquiries and provide direction.
- Assisting with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance testing (QSA).
- Assisting with financial analyses and budget requests from CFOs within the region and may require working across regions.
- Ensuring that effective internal controls are in place, and maintaining compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial reporting.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Three or more years related experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Financial Analyst and/or Accounting experience is required.
- Must have good problem solving skills, be detail oriented, able to multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Strong PC (Microsoft Word, Excel) skills and knowledge of basic accounting principles are required.
- Strong organizational and time management skills along with excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft applications preferred.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with team members and regional leads and upper management.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers or customers.
- Customer Service experience helpful.