News Reporter - State Government
We’re the leading news source in the Evergreen State’s second most-populous county, and we emphasize enterprise and accountability over hearings coverage and press release rewrites. You’ll also be able to expand your audience past just Tacoma and its environs to newspapers across the state as a contributor to McClatchy’s Northwest Region, which includes four news organizations in Washington. Oh, did we mention it’s a biennium budget year in Olympia?
- Report news of the people and institutions of local communities.
- Write spot news and enterprise stories.
- Build audience loyalty, engagement and growth around compelling public service journalism.
- Use reader analytics to grow audiences and increase engagement.
- Develop an awareness of what people are sharing and talking about on social media.
- Shoot photos and video to illustrate some stories.
- Develop community news sources.
- Conduct interviews and gather information from sources.
- Take responsibility for fully covering a local news beat or community.
- Work with photographers and graphic artists to develop photos and graphics to illustrate stories from beat.
- Some night and weekend work required.
- Work with an array of colleagues and supervisors to assemble and publish a story.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
- Proficient with standard suite of Microsoft Office and Google Suite software and database applications.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively both orally and in writing using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Analyze situations quickly and adopt an effective course of action.
- Follow safety rules and regulations.
- Organize work to meet schedules and timelines.
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement
- Commitment to News Tribune mission of covering local news.
- Commitment to working in team environment.
- A valid Washington State driver’s license and a safe driving record which includes no more than two accidents and/or traffic violations in the past three years.
- College degree.
- At least three (3) years of daily newspaper experience preferred.