High School Counselor, 2020-2021 (Long-Term Substitute)
Position: High School Counselor (Long-Term Substitute: September to November, 2021)
Location: Boston, MA (Brighton Campus)
Start date: August, 2020
ABOUT THE MATCH CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOL
Match Charter Public School is a free, high-performing charter public school in Boston. We are a PreK-12 school serving 1,250 students. Our mission is to prepare students for success in college and careers in order to achieve economic security and mobility. Students gain acceptance to our schools via an annual blind public lottery open to all Boston residents.
Our families bring amazing racial and cultural diversity to the school community - they represent over 20 different countries of origin with over 20 different languages spoken at home. 94% of our students are people of color. Our students bring a diversity of needs to our school, and we are prepared to serve them. 21% of our students qualify for special education services; 30% of our student body are English Language Learners.
All that said, we know that the largest driver of our success is the people who work in our schools every day. Our staff have an immediate impact on our ability of reaching our mission and changing the lives of our students. If you are passionate about your teaching and interested in working in a positive environment alongside incredible peers, please apply for the opportunity below.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Our high school is looking for a full-time School Counselor to cover a maternity leave from September to November, 2020. The School Counselor will collaborate closely with teachers, staff and school leadership to effectively meet the needs of our students and provide direct counseling to a caseload of students. The School Counselor needs to be a LICSW and will provide supervision to two other school counselors on staff and potentially interns.
The School Counselor will:
● Give individual and group counseling using evidence-based treatment modalities
● Provide supervision to two school counselors on the Mental Health Team and potentially interns.
● Conduct safety and risk assessments and provide appropriate referrals and follow-up during and after student crisis
● Provide case management and care coordination to students and their families
● Collaborate on student cases and identify appropriate levels of care
● Collaborate with teachers on classroom interventions that promote mental health
● Implement universal preventative mental health and wellness programming
● Contribute collaboratively to school culture as part of the Mental Health Department
● Approach all work with a trauma-sensitive, strengths-based lens that both honors and incorporates the cultural values and beliefs of our students, families and communities
● Uphold high expectations for students, and provide lots of support for getting students there;
● Participate actively in Match’s coaching and professional development programming;
● Assist with school programming as needed during non-instructional time; and
● Serve as a positive and collaborative member of the Match Charter Public School community
Competitive applicants have:
● Two or more years experience as a school-based social worker (strongly preferred);
● A master's degree in Social Work and license for independent practice in the state of Massachusetts (LICSW required);
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively facilitate groups and classroom interventions;
● Extensive case management and clinical assessment skills;
● Experience working on teams and the desire to work across multiple settings with behavioral health and non-mental health providers;
● A deep understanding of how race, gender and culture informs our work and the relationships we build
● belief that all students can and will succeed; and
● A desire to continually improve their practice as a school professional by taking and implementing feedback.
ABOUT MATCH EDUCATION
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of The Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®.
Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform.
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment..