Match Associate Teacher Program 2019-2020
Associate Teachers are placed on grade-level (K-5) or subject level (6-12) teams in Match Public Charter Schools for an intensive year-long apprenticeship. Throughout the year, our associate teachers are coached and mentored by school leaders at Match and slowly assume more classroom responsibilities. All of our associate teachers are also enrolled in the Sposato Graduate School of Education. SGSE offers highly practical, hands-on training in effectively designing and implementing rigorous instruction, and in building classroom cultures consistent with achievement, purposefulness, and joy. Through courses, coaching, and classroom experience, associate teachers improve their teaching and planning expertise with the goal of becoming lead teachers in Match and other schools with similar missions the following year.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Serve as a teaching assistant in the classroom
- Observe and provide in-class support to a host teacher.
- Actively receive coaching from Match and Sposato staff.
- Provide coverage, as requested, for a host teacher.
- Teach in a host teacher’s classroom with a gradual increase in teaching responsibilities as the school year progresses.
- Support the host teachers with administrative work- grading, material development, etc.
Provide daily coverage and support for the school
- Support school-wide duties (Breakfast, Lunch, Dismissal, etc.) as needed.
- Lead after-school activities as needed.
- Provide coverage for classrooms as needed.
Enroll in Sposato Graduate School of Education
- Complete all coursework requirements of SGSE and remain in good academic standing.
- Attend classes two nights a week throughout the school year.
- Attend practice sessions on Saturdays throughout the fall.
- Meet all practicum requirements, including summer student teaching in 2018.
- A Bachelor’s degree required;
- A minimum of one-year teaching or tutoring experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred;
- A commitment to working with underserved, youth from low-income backgrounds
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Match Education, including Match’s values and educational model;
- Dedication to constantly improving;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Eagerness to receiving feedback on teaching practice;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Relentless work ethic;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice through improving educational outcomes;
- Grit and determination.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
ABOUT THE MATCH CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOL
The Match Public Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Boston, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on multiple campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare students from Boston’s for success in college and beyond. Match Charter Public School students are some of the highest performing students in the state, and over 80% of our graduating seniors enter four-year colleges every year (For more information on our results, please visit us at http://www.matchschool.org)
Our school has a unique model: Match students receive one to two hours of small group tutoring as part of our school day, every day. We also emphasize incredibly high expectations for all of our students – both behaviorally and academically – and truly believe all students can and will succeed.
ABOUT MATCH EDUCATION
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of The Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®.
Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform. (For a video snapshot, please click here.)
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment.
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment..