Dean - Sposato Graduate School of Education
Dean Job Description
About the Organization
The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education is a young, alternative institution of higher education, operating within Boston-based Match Education. The mission of CSGSE is to prepare unusually effective novice teachers for schools serving low-income populations, and to develop, validate and disseminate innovative approaches to teacher preparation.
CSGSE’s model is uniquely coherent and successful: we have worked to ensure all classroom and practicum experiences are highly aligned with the needs of effective first-year teaching. We have also developed a coaching model designed to promote rapid acquisition of skills and knowledge necessary for success as a novice teacher. Since 2008, 100% of our 300+ graduates have won lead teaching jobs, and every cohort since 2008 has significantly outperformed a control group of non-CSGSE trained teachers.
CSGSE plays a leading role in the broader nationwide discussion about teacher preparation. Through Match, CSGSE-designed modules on teacher coaching have been adopted by thousands of teachers and schools across the nation. CSGSE has received international attention through publications such as Education Week and a cover story in The Economist.
CSGSE is currently approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to award Initial Teaching Licenses and by the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education to award a Masters Degree in Effective Teaching. We are substantially engaged in pursuing accreditation through the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
More information about CSGSE is available at http://www.sposatogse.org
CSGSE is looking for a Dean to lead the school into its second decade. The Sposato Dean reports to the Match Education CEO and to an independent Board of Trustees.
Priorities for the coming 5-10 years will include:
- Preserving or expanding the high performance levels of CSGSE-trained teachers. Since the beginning, the foundation of CSGSE’s work has been training teachers who are unusually effective, when their performance is measured in comparison to non-CSGSE trained novice teachers. While the labor market will continue to evolve, as well the pedagogical and cultural approaches of CSGSE partner schools, the Dean must work to ensure CSGSE trainees continue to overperform.
- Updating the CSGSE business model. In our first decade, CSGSE has operated largely upon philanthropic revenue. The incoming Dean will aim to reduce this reliance through refining our current budget model, as well as exploring new approaches to earned income. The Dean will work with Match Education staff and the CSGSE Board to develop and execute development strategy, in alignment with the broader development strategy for Match Education.
- Expanding CSGSE’s national profile. Since its inception, CSGSE has served to disseminate best practices in teacher preparation, and to positively disrupt approaches in traditional and non-traditional preparation organizations, including school districts, colleges and universities. The new Dean will lead our efforts to expand CSGSE’s voice in a broader conversation regarding teacher training.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing a team of 6 full-time faculty and approximately 40 part-time instructors and coaches.
- As necessary, supporting the development and recruitment of full-time and part-time faculty.
- Working with the Match CEO and CSGSE Board to review and implement a refined 5-year business plan.
- Working with Match Staff and CSGSE Board to develop and execute fundraising strategy.
- Maintaining relationships with CSGSE partner schools and organizations.
- Occasional delivery of instruction to CSGSE trainees.
- Supporting the work of recruiting prospective CSGSE trainees.
- Potentially advising and/or coaching small numbers of CSGSE trainees.
Competitive applicants will possess:
- Demonstrated commitment to the missions of CSGSE and Match Education.
- Executive-level leadership experience in PK-12 and/or higher education settings.
- Experience in financial and strategic planning.
- Experience leading and executing fundraising efforts.
- Experience training and developing PK-12 teachers.
- Demonstrated record of results-driven performance.
- Mature interpersonal style, ability to interact and relate well with a range of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
About Match Education
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of The Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®.
Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform.
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment.
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment..