Public Media Account Executive - WBEZ
DO YOU LOVE PUBLIC RADIO?
Check out this multi-platform sales opportunity to represent Chicago Public Media
Market Enginuity is seeking a mid-level determined and persuasive sales professional to join our public media sales team representing WBEZ in Chicago. This is an exceptional opportunity to for a mission-minded and innovative person to join our team and generate sponsorship revenue for radio, on demand audio, digital display and events. Make an impact while working with a team of smart, creative, collaborative colleagues.
In this outside sales position, you will sell broadcast, digital media and event sponsorships by developing new business and growing an account list.
An account executive in public media is similar to that of a salesperson in commercial broadcasting or local digital media. In this consultative sales role, you’ll call on decision makers at local businesses to understand their marketing needs and develop proposals that offer marketing solutions to help them grow their businesses. This is a full life-cycle sales position – you will prospect, conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals supported by relevant research, secure the sale, develop copy and service the account.
Key Qualities and Skills You Possess:
- Media sales experience – 3+ years in print, broadcast or digital preferred
- Passion for WBEZ and all that the station offers. We are looking for a BIG fan!
- New business development – ability to open doors and close new business by using a disciplined sales process
- Time and resource management skills – prioritization to exceed sales goals
- Relationship building – ability to establish business relationships built on service, credibility and trust. Patience and persistent to manage a longer sales cycle
- Thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communications skills to create and deliver credible and professional visual presentations and multi-platform proposals, built on solid market research
- Strategic thinker that can achieve station, client and personal goals
- A collaborative respectful, supportive and professional personality
- Positive attitude and thoughtful demeanor
- Technology skills – online CRM, MS Excel and PowerPoint experience preferred
- 4-year college degree; Marketing, Business or related field preferred
About Market Enginuity:
Market Enginuity fuels mission-driven, educational and inspiring independent media to benefit stations, producers, sponsors and audiences.
Our affinity with public media began personally as viewers, listeners and donors to our hometown stations. For almost two decades we’ve increased our contributions, building the largest team in the country that specializes in corporate sponsorship sales. The passion is still personal and carried by more than 150 people ingrained in the communities where we live and work. Market Enginuity attracts the best people who together create the standard of excellence for corporate support in public media in nearly 20 markets across the country.
Originally established as an extension service of the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Media first signed on as WBEZ in 1943. For most of these early years, the station only broadcast educational instruction, operating during the school year on weekdays while Chicago Public Schools were in session. In 1970, the station became one of the first charter member stations of National Public Radio (NPR). In 1990, Chicago Public Media acquired the WBEZ license from the Board of Education as an independent community licensee and not-for-profit: WBEZ Alliance, Inc.
Today, Chicago Public Media broadcasts its primary service on three FM radio stations: WBEZ 91.5 FM in Chicago, WBEQ 90.7 FM in Morris, and 91.3 FM (W217BM) in Elgin, Illinois. In addition to local programming, Chicago Public Media produces This American Life, Sound Opinions, and Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! (a co-production with NPR) for national distribution. In 2005, Chicago Public Media launched a new public media service, Vocalo, which is broadcast on WBEW 89.5 FM in Chesterton, Indiana.
Market Enginuity Offers:
- Market competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package designed to protect you and your family: medical, dental, vision, tax-favored spending accounts, disability and life plans, employee assistance program, pet insurance and a retirement savings 401(k) plan
- Opportunities for rest, relaxation and personal pursuits with PTO and holidays
- Smart, creative and collaborative colleagues
- Core values that serve as the foundation of our culture and are infused into the way we work
Market Enginuity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.