VP Sponsorships, KERA
This is an opportunity for a high impact media sales leader to do work that matters, leading the sponsorship sales team for North Texas Public Broadcasting / KERA. Its public media properties include KERA FM, an NPR-affiliated station; KERA TV, a PBS station; KXT 91.7 FM, a new music station; as well as locally-produced shows, and related digital media, podcast, and mobile products.
KERA entrusts its sponsorship sales department to an ongoing partnership with Market Enginuity, the leading independent media sales representation firm in the country serving public media stations and large podcast networks. KERA’s new VP, Integrated Media Sponsorship - and KERA’s sales staff – are based at the station as employees of Market Enginuity, which provides infrastructure, proven sales processes, and resources that support sponsorship revenue growth.
KERA - Background
KERA is a community media organization serving the nation’s #4 largest market and delivering distinct, relevant, and essential content to North Texans through public radio, TV, and digital resources. Each week, more than 2.6 people in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area connect with KERA through its radio and TV, website, social media and mobile products. These include:
KERA FM (kera.org)– With more than 400,000 weekly listeners, the flagship NPR radio station consistently ranks as one of the most listened-to public radio stations in the US. Audiences tune in for national news and talk programs such as Morning Edition and All Things Considered, and for entertainment shows including Wait, Wait… Don’t Tell Me! and This American Life. In addition, the KERA newsroom produces the popular radio and podcast series Think with Krys Boya (think.kera.org), and partners with other Texas NPR newsrooms in a state-wide editorial collaborative to produce Texas Standard (texasstandard.org), the daily news show of Texas.
KERA TV (keratv.org) is the PBS affiliate in North Texas, and ranks among the top 10 public television stations in the country. Its schedule delivers the high quality news, history, cultural, and entertainment programming that PBS is known for, as well as locally produced news and talk shows. The KERA Kids and KERA Create channels offer lifestyle programming.
KXT 91.7 FM (kxt.org) is Independent Music Radio. With a weekly audience of more than 255,000 listeners, KXT is one of the most popular Triple A public radio stations in the country. Music fans listen for an eclectic mix of acoustic, alt-country, indie rock, alternative, blues and soul, and classic rock sound. KXT also programs Live Sessions.
Art&Seek (artandseek.org) shines a spotlight on North Texas’ arts community through interviews, stories, and video, and publicizes events from 3,000 arts organizations and venues through its online calendar, with support from broadcast and social platforms.
KERA.org digital: The stations and programs produce branded and topical websites. Many offer video, e-mail newsletters, podcasts, social media, and mobile products that can be combined with broadcast and live events sponsorship marketing programs.
Unique to this market: NPR stations participate in the Texas Station Collaborative, a new initiative that develops programming for NPR stations across the state. This editorial collaboration forms the basis of a new regional public radio sales network across Texas. KERA’s sales team, along with Market Enginuity’s teams at NPR stations in Houston and Austin, can sell statewide audience reach to corporate sponsors.
MARKET ENGINUITY - BACKGROUND
Market Enginuity (www.marketenginuity.com), founded in 1999, is the trusted sponsorships sales partner to public media broadcast organizations nationwide. Its 165 employees in 17 metro markets include experienced managers and account executives working at the station level and a collaborative Market services team headquartered in Phoenix that provides creative services, people operations, and financial support. Market Enginuity provides its station clients and managers with analytically based performance benchmarking tools and indices, and proven consultative sales guidance that reflect best practices in commercial and public media. Market Enginuity’s employees share a genuine commitment to a culture that fuels mission-driven media with increased revenue and capability.
This VP reports to: President of Market Enginuity (based in Phoenix)
Reporting to the VP: 6 Account Executives, Traffic Coordinator, and an Integrated Media Specialist
The VP, Integrated Media Sponsorships is a hands-on sales leadership role, with overall responsibility for revenue performance in the Dallas market. This includes coaching the sales staff to deliver revenues from local and regional sponsors, while personally promoting strategic business development efforts with key clients and prospects. Given its audience reach and capabilities in the market, KERA has significant opportunity to increase its corporate sponsor revenues. The VP is charged with raising the team’s near and longer-term sales performance by fostering a more sophisticated and creative consultative selling effort.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Overall accountability for KERA FM, KERA TV, and KTX sponsorship revenues:
- Direct local and regional sales and go-to-market activity to meet or exceed goals.
- Set a high bar and lead by example. Implement strategies for revenue growth in line with Market Enginuity market projections. Lead the sales team to ‘believe and achieve’ in their ability to reach higher goals.
- Guide staff to raise the quality and quantity of sales efforts throughout the cycle.
- Raise the station’s profile with decision-makers at leading Dallas-area ad agencies.
- Develop the staff’s overall capability to deliver creative, customized sponsorship programs for clients that effectively combine radio, TV, digital audio, multimedia, and live events.
- Jumpstart regional sales efforts that span the Dallas, Houston, and Austin markets. Identify and focus on key target clients for regional buys. Lead the staff to better market and deliver programs that utilize this broader audience reach capability.
- Bring knowledge and expertise to growing sponsor revenues from digital media, podcasts, and new programs that may be introduced locally. Promote the value and breadth of the integrated media capabilities of the station, internally and with clients and agencies.
- Oversee sales-related marketing efforts and positioning strategy. Work with the Market Enginuity Creative Services team to develop compelling sales materials and Media Kits. Make effective use of research and audience data to position KERA competitively.
- Effectively apply Market Enginuity tools and sales management approaches to best effect.
- Ensure that the staff and sales territories are organized for maximum success. Work with the Market Enginuity Chief People Officer and People Operations team on workforce planning, training and development, performance management, and compensation practices.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships at the station level; with other Market Enginuity sales leaders in TX; and with the corporate team and National Podcast group.
- Provide sound forecasting. Offer ongoing insight about local market threats and opportunity.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Experience - Candidates should demonstrate most, if not all, of the following:
- Success in managing media sales teams to achieve revenue growth through goal setting, measurement, and consultative sales approaches. A track record in breaking new ad categories and key accounts through creative and strategic selling. (Public media experience is not required).
- A career progression that includes successes in managing the sale of integrated media programs to metro, regional, and national marketers, at client and agency levels. Experience can come from high quality print or broadcast, digital media, event sponsorship sales or, ideally, a combination.
- Background should include successful collaboration on cross-functional and new product initiatives with editorial, programming, finance, and digital product teams.
- Fluency in using conceptual selling techniques and research data to persuade marketing sponsors and agencies of the value of KERA’s audience and programming.
- Willingness to be hands-on daily in working with Sponsorship Sales staff to troubleshoot problems, identify and close business opportunities, coach higher levels of performance, and help manage key client relationships.
- Capable of effectively utilizing and supervising internal processes including inventory management; underwriting copy compliance with FCC public media guidelines; ad analytics and data reporting; performance management systems; and the department’s use of CRM software (e.g., SalesForce).
- The ability to recruit, mentor, and retain top talent.
- College degree plus a minimum of 10 years’ relevant sales media experience is expected, with at least 5 years coaching / managing account executives or first-line managers.
Style, Culture Fit, and Capabilities:
- Candidates must believe in the mission of public media and journalism in the civic discourse, and bring an appreciation for corporate underwriting/sponsorship as its advertising offering.
- Professional maturity and tact are required to successfully undertake a role with dual accountabilities to Market Enginuity (remotely) and to KERA/KXT at the station level.
- Must be capable of blending one’s prior ad sales management training and instincts with Market Enginuity’s proven sales processes and strategies, and applying these consistently in a public media station setting to achieve team goals.
- A collaborative team player/coach style. The ready ability to inspire, motivate and sustain a winning sales team culture, through training, feedback, and example.
- Flexibility: the ability and instinct to pivot, challenge assumptions, problem-solve, and adapt the game plan based on market and client feedback and the input of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication and sales presentation skills.
- Sales background that is steeped in consultative sales (not transactional) methods.
- The highest levels of professionalism and personal integrity are required.
This management position carries a competitive compensation package comprised of a base salary with performance-based bonus opportunity, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Market Enginuity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.