Director, Sponsorship Sales - KUER
KUER entrusts its sponsorship sales department to Market Enginuity, the leading media sales representation firm in the country exclusively serving public media organizations. The Director, Sponsorship Sales, and the sponsorship sales department, will be employed by Market Enginuity and supported by its infrastructure and resources to best serve KUER.
With internal management and external market-facing responsibilities, the Director, Sponsorship Sales will play a critical role in helping KUER realize immediate revenue growth targets through existing platforms, while advancing the sales team’s ability to deliver broader digital and integrated media programs to corporate sponsors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Assume overall accountability for KUER sponsorship department and performance against revenue goals. Direct local sales effort and go-to-market activity.
- Set a high bar and lead by example. Communicate and implement near and longer-term strategies for revenue growth, leading the sales team to ‘believe and achieve’ higher personal and group performance.
- Identify and support the development of new customer relationships and target categories, while building deeper marketing partnerships with existing sponsors. Foster areas for group collaboration and ‘big idea’ sponsorships.
- Manage an account list of existing corporate sponsors and develop new business. The strongest managers can balance team development and personal sales development.
- Develop the department’s readiness and capability to deliver creative, customer-focused sponsorship programs for regional and local clients that combine radio, digital audio, multimedia, mobile, and events platforms.
- Bring sound sales management expertise and rigor when applying Market Enginuity tools and management approaches in the Salt Lake City media market. Monitor the competitive environment. Be proactive in addressing market opportunity.
- Enhance high-level client and ad agency relationships. Support strong partner relationships and national efforts with NPR® and PRX.
- Enhance the quality and / or quantity of team sales efforts throughout the sales cycle.
- Bring knowledge of all audio platforms (broadcast, on-demand, etc.) and expertise to grow digital business. Promote the value of new digital and mobile initiatives internally and externally.
- Oversee sales-related marketing efforts and positioning strategy. Work with Market Enginuity Creative Services on critical sales initiatives and marketing collateral.
- Forecast, monitor and report on revenue and budget performance vs. goals.
- Ensure the staff and account assignments are organized for maximum success. Work with Market Enginuity People Operations on workforce planning, training and development, performance management, high-level employment issues and compensation practices.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with key KUER stakeholders including those in Leadership, Development and Membership, the Newsroom, Finance and Marketing.
- Represent the media sales perspective in the planning and budgeting process, in collaboration with senior leadership at Market Enginuity and KUER. Coordinate with the regional sales manager as the client-station relationship point of contact.
Experience - Candidates should demonstrate most, if not all, of the following:
- Success in managing one or more media sales teams to achieve revenue growth through goal setting, measurement, and consultative sales approaches. A track record in breaking new categories and key accounts through creative and strategic selling.
- Career progression that includes success in selling media to metro and regional marketers, at client and agency levels. Experience from quality print or niche broadcast outlets, digital media, event sponsorship sales or a combination. Public media experience is not required.
- Fluency in using conceptual selling techniques and research data to persuade marketing sponsors and agencies of KUER audience value and programming compared to competitors. Willingness to work hands-on daily with Sponsorship Sales staff to troubleshoot problems, identify and close business opportunities and manage key client relationships.
- Capable of supervising internal media processes including inventory management; copy compliance with FCC guidelines; ad analytics and data reporting; and the department’s use of CRM software.
- College degree plus a minimum of 5 years’ relevant business experience is expected, with at least 3 years coaching / managing account executives.
Style, Culture Fit, and Capabilities:
- Professionalism, emotional maturity and tact are important attributes in successfully managing a role with dual accountabilities to Market Enginuity (remotely) and KUER.
- Must be capable of blending one’s prior commercial training and instincts with the Market Enginuity sales processes and strategies to achieve success within a mission-oriented, non-commercial public media journalism culture.
- A collaborative player-coach style: the ability to inspire positive change as a member of the management team.
- Flexibility: the ability and instinct to pivot, challenge assumptions and adapt the game plan based on market and client feedback and the input of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication and sales presentation skills; executive command; shares information in an insightful manner with a clear plan of action.
- Problem solver: takes ownership; maximizes resources; can create a proactive strategy; is optimistic; applies a consultative sales approach to sustain client relationships rather transact business.
- Serious candidates should be fans of public media, and active, well-informed consumers of news and entertainment across platforms.
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity. An accessible low-ego personal management style.
Reporting to this position: 2 account executives
KUER public radio, a charter member of National Public Radio (NPR), broadcasts from the Eccles Broadcast Center at The University of Utah. Founded in 1960, KUER 90.1 provides a commercial-free mix of NPR®, BBC and local news to over 160,000 weekly listeners. With a growing digital footprint of over 82,000 monthly unique website visitors, 5,600 mobile app users, and 17,000 social media followers throughout Utah and beyond, it is the largest state-wide NPR station in Utah. KUER provides access to local news and information through its extensive 35 translator and six transmitter network. In addition to its FM channel at 90.1, KUER also broadcasts two additional channels in high-definition (HD). KUER2 features the BBC World Service and KUER3 offers traditional and contemporary classical music.
KUER fundamentally believes that information and public engagement enrich a community and is intensely committed to building a community of world citizens through story and art, discussion and debate, sound and creativity. KUER’s work is driven by their Public Service Mission: to enhance the lives of its audience with a blend of news, information and entertainment in an unbiased, non-commercial context and create an ongoing source of service and support vital to community organizations.
KUER is home to an award-winning news team, now featuring two Southern Utah bureaus. Local news includes short and long-form stories, ranging in topics from health and politics to the environment and the arts. KUER's local interview program, RadioWest, highlights the best in arts, culture, and politics and explores the way the world works with authors, politicians, artists and others.
Market Enginuity (www.marketenginuity.com), founded in 1999, is the trusted sponsorships sales partner to public media broadcast organizations nationwide. Its 150+ employees in nearly 20 metro markets include experienced managers and account executives working across the country and a collaborative Market Services team headquartered in Phoenix. Market Enginuity provides its station clients and managers with analytically based performance benchmarking tools and indices, and proven consultative sales guidance that reflect best practices in commercial and public media. The privately held company and its employees are committed to fueling mission-driven, educational and inspiring independent media with increased revenue and capability.
Market Enginuity and KUER are proud to be equal opportunity employers that operate in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Candidates are expected to provide a complete and accurate resume including work history and educational background. Finalist candidates will be subject to a professional referencing process, background check and drug screen as a condition of a formal offer.
Market Enginuity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.