Local Sales Director, Corporate Sponsorship, WAMU
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
This is an opportunity for a high-energy, client-facing media sales leader with Local and Regional sales management expertise to do work that matters representing WAMU, Washington DC’s public radio station and the most-listened to NPR station in the country. WAMU entrusts its sponsorship sales to Market Enginuity, a well-respected sponsorship sales firm that exclusively serves public media organizations. This sales leader, will be employed by Market Enginuity, supported by its resources, and located at WAMU’s Washington DC offices.
The Local Sales Director will energize the team sales effort, drive new and broader revenue-generating business relationships, and create higher visibility to build sponsorship from local and regional marketers, agencies and local corporate offices. Responsibilities include:
Local and Regional Sales Revenue and Team Management
- Growing WAMU’s Local categories (Healthcare, Education, Financial, Arts & Entertainment and Business Services) sponsorship revenues, with a goal to deliver an aggressive increase in dollars and market share.
- Open doors with Local and Regional client and agency prospects, expand and deepen existing account relationships and spearhead outreach with target segments in a proactive, client-facing sales role.
- Engage with business-related social and professional networks, organizations and the broader DC regional advertising community on behalf of WAMU.
- Champion and implement marketing programs and activities to raise WAMU’s visibility and communicate its value to top client and agency prospects in key Local categories.
- Proactively coach the local sales team to develop and sell customized, innovative programs that address client needs by leveraging WAMU’s broadcast, digital and events marketing capabilities. Elevate and develop the team’s ability to bring consultative and strategic selling capabilities to all phases of the sales cycle.
- Monitor the competitive environment and local market activity by proactively and opportunistically identifying and acting on new business opportunities. Seek out and recommend ways WAMU can increase the value of local sponsorship offerings.
Group-Wide Impact and Strategic Contributions
- Direct the marketing strategy and messaging framework for positioning WAMU’s competitive value to Local and Regional sponsors. Work with internal resources to deliver persuasive presentations and sales support materials and to close sales.
- Partner with Senior Director, National Sales Director, Integrated Media Specialist and team to guide this effort.
- With Senior Director, play a key role in driving results through greater accountability at the individual and team level through the effective use of Market Enginuity tools, resources, and management approaches to enhance results.
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams with station management on a day-to-day basis, while working with Market Enginuity Market Services on strategic issues.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
This is a position for a positive, player-coach media sales leader with experience in creatively selling multiple media platforms, who is actively involved and well-networked in the Local D.C. media market. The Local Sales Director will play a key role to achieve higher levels of success. In addition to a functional expertise and track record, the ideal candidate will bring a genuine appreciation for the role that a leading public media station such as WAMU plays in the community and in the public discourse.
Experience should demonstrate:
- Success in managing local media sales teams (print or broadcast plus digital) to achieve revenue growth through goal setting, consultative sales approaches and sound negotiation.
- A strong lead-by-example work ethic, readiness to work hard and smart and desire to make meaningful contributions in a critical leadership role in an always evolving environment.
- A track record in breaking into new categories and key accounts through strategic selling. A trusted network of local client and agency relationships is expected.
- Data driven, analytical approach to sales management. Capable of supervising internal media processes including inventory management; underwriting copy compliance with FCC guidelines; ad analytics and data reporting; and the department’s use of CRM software.
- Proven ability to recruit, motivate and retain top sales talent.
- Success in launching new media products or event programs with sponsor support.
- Digital / mobile media experience as part of an integrated media sales background. Up-to-date insights into how digital advertising is sold, priced, negotiated, measured, and utilized effectively to provide value in achieving client objectives as part of a broader media program. Must demonstrate examples of developing, selling and delivering impactful campaigns that engage target audiences across web, mobile and traditional (print or broadcast) platforms.
- Ability to effectively use both qualitative measures and quantitative media research data to build persuasive presentations and craft sales stories for local accounts and agencies.
- A strong team player capable of cross-functional collaboration with News, Development, Finance and Market Enginuity Market Services teams.
- College degree plus 5-7+ years relevant business experience. 3+ years in management.
Style, Culture Fit, and Capabilities:
- Must be capable of blending one’s prior commercial training and instincts with the Market Enginuity sales processes and strategies to achieve success within a mission-oriented, non-commercial public media journalism culture.
- A collaborative team player / coach style, and the ability to inspire positive change as a member of the station’s management team.
- Flexibility: the ability and instinct to pivot, challenge assumptions, and adapt the game plan based on market and client feedback and the input of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication and sales presentation skills.
- Driven to consultative sales approaches and sustained client relationships rather than ‘simply the transaction.’
- Serious candidates should be fans of public media, and active, well-informed consumers of news and entertainment across platforms.
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity, an accessible low-ego personal management style.
WAMU 88.5 (www.wamu.org), licensed to and owned by American University, is a uniquely important media property. Based in Washington, DC, the #7 metro market by size, its 700,000+ weekly listeners are among the most educated, influential, and socially aware audiences in the world. And they are highly engaged: spending an average of 5 hours 30 minutes with WAMU each week and downloading 2.5 million podcasts and on-demand sessions each month.
WAMU delivers a 24/7 schedule of news and information programs, including acclaimed locally-produced shows hosted by Joshua Johnson and Kojo Nnamdi, and NPR programs delivered on radio, podcasts, and via live audio streams and multi-media stories on WAMU.org. The station provides insight and coverage of DC-area public affairs, policy and politics, metro transportation, housing, business, the arts, technology and social issues. Its programs and content reach national and global audiences through the NPR News and NPR One mobile apps.
WAMU has embarked on an ambitious 5-year strategic transformation plan to deliver new digital, podcast, and multi-platform products, expand its newsroom staffing, add more local programming and achieve greater engagement with audiences as both a top-tier media organization and a civic institution dedicated to positive social impact in the community. The increased support of corporate media sponsors is critical to making this happen.
MARKET ENGINUITY (www.marketenginuity.com), founded in 1999, is the trusted sponsorships sales partner to public media broadcast organizations nationwide. Its 165+ employees in 18 metro markets include experienced managers and account executives at the station level and a collaborative market services team headquartered in Phoenix. Market Enginuity provides its station clients and managers with analytically based performance benchmarking tools and processes, and proven consultative sales guidance that reflect best practices in commercial and public media. The privately held company and its employees are committed to fueling mission-driven, educational and inspiring independent media with increased revenue and capability.
Local Sales Director reports to: Amy Powers, Senior Director of Integrated Media Sponsorships, WAMU
Direct Reports to this position: 6 Local Account Managers
Dotted Line Responsibility: Works with National Sales Director (peer) and National Sales team to advance and position WAMU as a primary platform for reaching consumers and influencers across the D.C. region.
This position carries a competitive compensation package comprised of a base salary with performance-based bonus, and comprehensive benefits.
Market Enginuity and its clients are proud to be equal opportunity employers that operate in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Candidates are expected to provide a complete and accurate resume including work history and educational background. Finalist candidate will be subject to a thorough professional referencing process as a condition of a formal offer.
Market Enginuity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.