We are looking for a highly-motivated GIS Intern to join us in our Hartselle office. The objective of this internship is to immerse students in experiences and our company culture within a professional GIS department while gaining expertise to enhance career development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, maintain and/or modify existing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) databases.
- Perform various GIS related activities including, but not limited to: GPS field data collection, GIS data creation and conversion, and GIS data management and quality control.
- Consistently track daily progress and provide weekly reports to management.
- Communicate effectively, both written and oral, with project team and management staff.
- Perform other approved duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computer applications and functions including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, ESRI, CAD, and other related software.
- Ability to analyze deficiencies in GPS data and to interpret spatial point data.
- General understanding of coordinate systems, projections, and datums.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to excel in a detail-oriented environment with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must have valid driver's license and able to operate a car or truck.
Education and Experience:
- Currently working towards a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Geospatial Information Systems, or other closely related degrees.
- GIS experience showing demonstrated proficiency in Esri’s ArcGIS software suite of products.
- Appropriately licensed to operate a motor vehicle.