Magnolia River is seeking a Technical Lead to work in our Lansing, Michigan office!
Primary Function: Responsible for tasks and elements of electrical design for control and instrumentation facilities on natural gas distribution and transmission pipelines. Project assignments may include modeling, planning, designing, drafting, materials evaluation, field work, technical writing and assisting project managers and/or technical leads with other tasks within the project lifecycle.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be willing and able to accept the responsibilities of this position, our culture, and a commitment to excellence. Do your job, do it well, and do it on time.
- Read and interpret data available from design locates, field work, and other data collection.
- Work closely with clients, suppliers, contractors and relevant authorities to meet design requirements.
- Develop and maintain a professional rapport with Project Manager, Asst. Project Manager, and project team members, providing timely responses and communicating effectively, both written and orally.
- Understand permit process for permit tracking and approvals, HDD basics, and as-built process.
- Understand and ensure project scope, schedule, and cost requirements of client, internal, and external stakeholders are met.
- During design phase, anticipate and communicate solutions to issues that may arise during a project lifecycle.
- Prepare written plans, reports, or procedures to address specific project needs.
- Be key contributor of quality control review team, assuring compliance of all designs.
- Proactively work toward team, division and company goals. Offer leadership and sharing of knowledge and skills; varying roles where needed ranging from small team player to leading large scale initiatives.
- Maintain target billable goals.
- Study federal, state, and client requirements to develop a better understanding of gas system designs.
- Represent company at industry associations and client events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to use computer applications and functions including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office and various CAD programs (e.g., AutoCAD Civil 3D).
- Ability to communicate with strong verbal and written skills.
- Ability to discuss project elements internally/externally regarding client and/or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to accurately perform in a detail-oriented environment, under minimal supervision.
- Ability to compile/review project work, quantities, costs, accuracy of specifications, and construction package completeness, while balancing numerous projects with competing priorities.
- Read and interpret data available from existing drawings (paper and/or digital), design locates, field work and other sources of data.
- Ability to produce complex P&ID and develop basic electrical plans and wiring diagrams.
- Ability to design supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems conforming to client and industry standards.
- Ability to design electrical service, lighting, instrumentation, and grounding systems for natural gas facilities.
- Ability to understand the process for acquiring electrical service and any necessary permitting and tracking the progress and approvals.
- Ability to work extended hours and travel as needed to meet project deadlines.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited educational institution is required.
- Natural gas industry experience is preferred.
- Professional Engineer licensed in Michigan, having the ability to acquire Michigan license within three (3) months.
- Previous internship with Magnolia River is preferred.
- Duties are performed in an office or field environment.
- Observe and assist Magnolia River staff for site inspections or as-built measurements as needed.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Must be able to identify and distinguish colors, distances, and spatial relationships.
- Management reserves the right to assign/reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.