Natural Gas Inspector - Fort Myers, FL
Primary Function: Under minimal supervision, the Inspector provides inspection services to Magnolia River clients. This position is for the Fort Myers, FL area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate the job, construction route and traffic flow prior to project start.
- Walk door to door, meeting with all residential customers. Address any concerns they have before starting construction; make note and point out to customer any concrete or paving damage prior to starting to avoid problems later.
- Meet with contractor to review job and discuss any concerns they may have. Obtain crew list and confirm that they are Operator Qualified.
- Map progress of job daily.
- Make field decisions on line placement when unknown conflicts come up.
- Verify tie-in point are ok by ensuring the line being tapped meets the minimum wall thickness by observing the measurement of the wall thickness by the welder or corrosion specialist and documenting the measurement.
- Understand Best Management Practices including, but not limited to, proper placement of silt fencing and hay socks.
- Visually inspect the welding requirements for taps and tees and ensure adherence to all fusion procedures.
- Maintain appropriate OQ skills.
- Observe proper jeeping of pipelines and document the voltage and results and visually inspect coating of welds, repair of anomalies and document the measurement of coating thickness.
- Determine if services need to be installed including but not limited to is house habitable or has gas service been off for an extended period of time.
- Coordinate tie-ins with construction department and service re-builds with service department.
- Understand meter placement for relocates and move outs.
- Keep daily report of all activities on job.
- In a collaborative effort with the Field Project Coordinator, help resolve Landscaping issues.
- Confirm accuracy of invoices to reflect specific tasks and/or linear feet of pipe installed.
- Complete all paperwork including but not limited to OQ list, completion report, as –built install and retirement drawings, material list, anode cards, pressure test charts, service data, and service field orders.
- Understand city and county paving cut and backfill standards.
- Coordinate paving and concrete repairs with paving contractor.
- Communicate effectively, both written and oral.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all incidents, near misses and unsafe activities to the client, supervision and/or Human Resources.
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve goals.
- Extensive travel required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to read construction prints.
- Must have ability to sketch construction drawings and/or to use software for construction diagrams.
- Required to maintain accurate project records during construction.
- Must adhere to safety standards and take a proactive role in reducing safety risk.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Ability to rapidly establish credibility and relationships with a broad range of individuals.
- Ability to perform assigned responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet project deadlines.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the natural gas industry is preferred.
- Experience with polyethylene pipe, fusion, and as-built prints is preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and able to operate a car or truck.
- Hands-on construction experience is desired.
- Duties are performed primarily in an outdoor setting with exposure to changing weather conditions.
- Must be able to perform moderate physical activity including somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily productive/technical nature.
- Ambulatory across uneven surfaces of a construction excavation work zone, frequent bending at knees and waist.
- Must be able to perform work in a very loud, active construction environment.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with co-workers and clients. Must be able to exchange accurate information.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned
- This job description is subject to change at any time.