Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
Date: October 2018
Reports to: Director of Human Resources Operations
Assist the Human Resources department on the day to day tactical operations of the function. Specific skills and abilities are needed in the area of coordination of workload, attention to detail, interpersonal skills, and the ability for precise time management. The HR Specialist supports and enhances the organization’s HR initiatives by driving results and contributing to team/unit’s efforts by accomplishing established goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS*
- Assist employees and Human Resources (HR) Team members with HR and benefits related inquiries/research
- Assist in open enrollment activities for all schools
- Monthly billing verification in conjunction with Staff Accountant
- Response to employees’ questions
- Administrative assistance for the HR Department
- Maintain employee personnel files to ensure legal compliance; prepare files for audits
- Oversee and handle all FMLA, Unemployment and Workers Compensation claims
- Support with the coordination of performance appraisals processes
- Assist in Company events, meetings and conferences
- Serve as back-up for payroll processing
- Support 401K tasks including but not limited to enrollment and annual audits
- Oversee all I9s company wide and ensure all comply with federal regulations, and renewals are completed in a timely fashion
- Provide back-up support to HR Director and Experience Team as needed
- Assist with employee relations as related to corrective action, new hires, exit interviews and terminations
- Maintains awareness of current trends in Human Resources through active reading, research and participation in continuing education and ensures the Director of Human Resources is apprised in a timely manner of all serious matters, trends or observations.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Other duties as assigned
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Business Acumen - Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, developments in e-commerce and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Ethics/Values & Integrity/Trust - Adheres to core values in good times and in bad and acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches; is widely trusted; is seen as a direct and truthful individual; keeps confidences; doesn’t blame others for his/her own mistakes or misrepresent him/herself for personal gain or protection; practices what he/she preaches.
- Priority Setting - Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; writes clearly and informatively.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree in business, preferably in a related field is a plus
- 3-5 years of experience working in a Human Resources department
- Experience with Paylocity, TBX preferred
- Attention to fine detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work well in a team, with all levels, as well as independently
- Strong organization and time management skills, ability to multitask
- Strong technical skills, highly proficient in Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Good typing/data entry skills
- The employee must be able to sit at a desk and computer for up to 90% of the day
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel or crouch
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lifts and/or move up to 25 pounds
- The employee will travel to additional schools up to 2 hours away as needed