Web Tools Developer
Linden Lab, a pioneer in the creation of virtual worlds, is poised for the public launch of “Sansar”, a social virtual reality platform that will democratize the creation of VR experiences. Linden Lab has been in business since 2003 and is best known for “Second Life”, the world’s largest user-generated economy.
Linden Lab is looking for innovative backend web engineers to deliver scalable, secure, and collaborative web experiences and APIs that enrich many aspects of Second Life. If you’re passionate about web technologies and would be psyched to wake up every morning knowing that your efforts will enhance the largest, most successful virtual world on the Internet then we want to hear from you
Our team builds services that power systems across Second Life web properties, from authentication and payments to internal support tools and many others. In addition, we own some company-wide internal tools, such as the Love Machine.
What you’ll do:
- Improve Second Life - the most successful Virtual World ever and a massive distributed system with thousands of servers and tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- Collaborate with your team to engineer large-scale backend web services and make everyone’s jobs better and hopefully easier.
- Face challenging technical problems and design creative and innovative solutions in complex systems.
- Participate in design and code reviews and discussions both within the team and with other parts of Second Life development.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What you need:
- The ability and willingness to dig into a large existing codebase, understand how it works, and then update, improve and modernize the heck out of it.
- Results-oriented attitude and dedication to the user experience, whether that user is another programmer utilizing your API, an internal coworker using your tool, or our customers using Second Life.
- Proficiency working in a geographically distributed team.
- Working knowledge of Linux, command line/shell, and system programming.
- Experience with distributed version control (git or mercurial).
- Experience with AWS or other cloud-based deployment models.
- Broad exposure to common web technologies.
- Proficiency in common scripting languages
- Ability to master a development environment that comprises many different languages, packages, tools, and scripts.
What would be awesome:
- Deep familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a HUGE plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field with significant Computer Science coursework or equivalent experience.
- 3 years of experience in web software engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately scope projects and negotiate deadlines within a flexible team structure.
- Occasional; Some travel between offices or to department meetups may be needed
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the computer and communicate with coworkers in an office environment. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit to complete work and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Linden Lab seeks to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace; therefore candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.