QA Engineer - Second Life Systems
Linden Lab is the creator of Second Life, the world’s largest, most successful, completely user-generated virtual world ever. We are looking for a QA engineer to test and defend Second Life -- a massively distributed system with thousands of servers and tens of thousands of concurrent users. Make a positive contribution to the virtual lives of millions!
The QA Engineer will perform testing across Second Life services (mostly Server, some Viewer & Web) and related client applications in an expansive system architecture. The ideal candidate will have experience in testing of software applications and client/server integration. This person will be highly innovative in testing strategies, as there is a continuous need for original and forward thinking with respect to the evolving needs of the products and internal systems as we move Second Life core services into the cloud.
- Design and maintain detailed test strategies, test cases, scripts and suites in a novel and evolving environment actively migrating to cloud-based services
- Identify software defects, run test suites, and verify fixes
- Work with Software Engineers and Performance Engineers to develop test automation used for: functional correctness, code quality, large-scale loading, transaction rate, chaos, security, business continuity
- Enter and update bugs in our defect tracking system (Jira)
- Help understand customer/support issues and turn them into reproducible bug reports
- Help evolve and define engineering and QA process improvements
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently, to triage issues and prioritize tasks, and manage several assignments simultaneously
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux and text editing tools such as nano, Emacs, Vim
- Familiarity with cloud-based testing a huge plus
- Familiarity with MySQL is a plus
- Proactive, driven individual with a strong work ethic
- Aptitude to learn quickly and effectively
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to remain focused in a team-oriented environment
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively with remote teammates in various locations
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science strongly preferred
- 3+ years as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer with a background in functional, integration, and regression testing
- Experience testing multiple platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux (Debian/Ubuntu), iOS
- Experience testing desktop client/server systems and web applications/services
- Experience converting specs into test plans and testing documentation
- Experience using automated test tools such as, but not limited to FunkLoad or similar testing tools a plus
- Experience testing services migrating to the cloud a huge plus
- Deep familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a big plus
- Performance testing experience a plus
- Nice to have: experience with New Relic or other performance monitoring systems
Bi-annual conference travel preferred. Required to spend time in our SF headquarters during onboarding.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the computer and communicate with coworkers in an office environment. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit to complete work and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Linden Lab seeks to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace; therefore candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.