Back End Web Engineer (Second Life)
Linden Lab is looking for innovative backend web engineers to deliver scalable, secure, and collaborative web experiences and APIs that enrich many aspects of Second Life. If you’re passionate about web technologies and would be psyched to wake up every morning knowing that your efforts will enhance the largest, most successful virtual world on the Internet then we want to hear from you!
Our team builds services that power systems across Second Life web properties, from authentication and payments to internal support tools and many others. In addition, we own some company-wide internal tools, such as the Love Machine.
What you’ll do:
- Improve Second Life - the most successful Virtual World ever and a massive distributed system with thousands of servers and tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- Collaborate with your team to engineer large scale backend web services and make everyone’s jobs better and hopefully easier.
- Face challenging technical problems and design creative and innovative solutions in complex systems.
- Participate in design and code reviews and discussions both within the team and with other parts of Second Life development.
What you need:
- The ability and willingness to dig into a large existing codebase, understand how it works, and then update, improve and modernize the heck out of it.
- Results-oriented attitude and dedication to the user experience, whether that user is another programmer utilizing your API, an internal coworker using your tool, or our customers using Second Life.
- Proficiency working in a geographically distributed team.
- Working knowledge of Linux, command line/shell, and system programming.
- Experience with distributed version control (git or mercurial).
- Experience with AWS or other cloud-based deployment models.
- Broad exposure to common web technologies.
- Proficiency in common scripting languages
- Ability to master a development environment that comprises many different languages, packages, tools and scripts.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately scope projects and negotiate deadlines within a flexible team structure
- 3 years of experience in web software engineering.
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field with significant Computer Science coursework; or equivalent experience.
What would be awesome:
- Deep familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a HUGE plus