Linden Lab is hiring a Data Engineer to service our next generation VR and virtual experience platform, Sansar. The Data Engineering team supports everything from business analytics to real-time fraud mitigation, and this role will contribute by developing real-time and batch ETL, modeling data, and helping build out our real-time data pipeline. Come join a friendly, seasoned team and a great company as we change the world.
What you’ll do
- Build ETL code to populate our Google BigQuery data warehouse with Apache Airflow scheduled batch updates from our Sansar Virtual Reality platform
- Develop real-time ETL apps using Google DataFlow (Java or Python) to provide critical insights into the business
- Maintain, improve, troubleshoot, and evaluate real-time data processing systems such as PubSub, Kafka, and Stackdriver
- Work closely with our Data Architect, Product Managers, and Analysts to design and model new tables to meet constantly-evolving analytics needs
- Liaise with our systems engineers, Google support, and our consulting partners to quickly assess the impact of production system changes to existing data warehouse processes
- Other duties may be assigned
What you need
- Extensive Real Time Data Engineering experience - we are not looking for a Data Analyst or Scientist.
- 3 to 5 years of active coding using Python or Java.
- Strong Analytics Modeling experience.
- Very strong SQL and relational database experience.
- Familiarity with non-relational document stores.
- Fluency in Linux; some system admin experience will be useful.
- Experience with message queues like Kafka, Pubsub, Kinesis etc. and working with real-time systems. Prior experience with Google DataFlow and/or Spark is a big plus.
- Experience working with large-scale data warehouse platforms such as BigQuery, Redshift, Snowflake, Teradata, etc..
- Desire to work in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment on really interesting problems.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to ensure that warehouse data is complete and accurate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a computer/database related field or equivalent professional experience.
What you’ll learn
- Advanced real-time processing concepts
- Advanced data modeling
- Google Compute Platform tools and methods
- Pioneer our use of graph databases