The Museum Guide will be responsible for providing high quality guest service for daily operating hours, events and other engagements for the Living Computers: Museum + Labs, both onsite and offsite. The majority of these events and engagements will include vintage or contemporary computers and related technology. This position will lead tours across a wide variety of vintage or contemporary computers as well as the ability to handle a dynamic environment with competing priorities and the ability to perform at a high, engaging energy level. A background in retail sales, hospitality or previous museum experience is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comfortable leading tours of various sizes while working independently and in groups.
- Assist with staffing outreach presence at area community events and conferences. Typically, this includes deploying our popup tent, table, and vintage microcomputers and promoting the museum to attendees.
- Provide logistical support for events during daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
- Proactively anticipate guest needs to provide exceptional service while monitoring a dynamic museum floor with visitors of all ages.
- Actively participate in all aspects of the operation of events from setup to tear down.
- Educate museum guests on programs and events, including membership benefits and gift shop offerings.
- Work independently on team or individual projects with limited supervision and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Participate in routine cleaning and operational tasks as needed with a high level of execution.
- Comfortable interfacing with working vintage or contemporary computers and related technology, including proper loading and shutdown procedures as well as handling guest questions with confidence.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Position requires a highly energetic person with a positive attitude that is driven, creative and resourceful in achieving results
- Ability to champion new ideas that add value to museum guests and approach change with excitement and openness.
- Excellent communication and collaborative interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable and confident while speaking to large groups.
- Ability to work as a team and liaise effectively with various external and internal audiences, including vendors, contractors, and engineers, professional peers, museum guests and employees.
- Familiarity with vintage and modern computers and technology.
- Background in retail sales, hospitality, event staffing or previous museum experience.
Associate’s degree (A.A.) from accredited institution and 2 plus years’ relevant experience, OR, equivalent years’ relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special remarks regarding work environment
- Must be available work 40 hours a week; Wednesday – Sunday 10:00am – 5:00pm.
- Willingness to work occasional nights and special events.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds and help setup event booths and other items.
Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or your recruiter.