Director of Fabric and Material Innovation
- Bachelor's Degree required. BA or BS in material science, chemical engineering, textile science, polymer science or related field. Advanced degrees preferred.
- 7+ years in apparel, materials, chemistry development or textile science industry.
- Strong textile apparel materials experience with familiarity and understand of all phases of product creation and execution including textile lab work.
- Strong understanding of the materials industry and vendors.
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Word, Excel, Outlook and Flex PLM.
- Strong collaborative tendencies and team development skills.
- Ability to gather appropriate input and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
- Excellent conceptual, technical, and strategic understanding.
- Ability to develop and maintain projects on timelines and budgetsThe Materials Innovation Director is charged with improving technical performance and driving new innovation within the Lands’ End Outfitters apparel line through research and partnership in materials science, fiber technology, textile engineering, and chemistry. This is a highly interactive and technical development position that requires comprehensive materials & textile expertise. Qualified candidate must possess the ability to work with and interpret a diverse supply chain and internal customer network to develop innovative, dynamic and high quality materials. Responsibilities include extensive research, identification, acquisition, and development of innovative and sustainable chemistry and textile technologies for use in Lands’ End Outfitters product lines. They must use academic and industry knowledge, supplier networks, publications, and research to develop applicable technologies that benefit LE’s product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, and intellectual property.
- Drive material innovation, evolve material processes, and influence new end-use applications for all product categories.
- Lead in-season material development while also focusing on long-lead and highly-engineered, material innovation pipeline.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to Product Team on material utilizations and innovation.
- Oversee material database, materials library and associated swatch books.
- Collaboration with internal stakeholders (Merchants, Designers, Product Developers, Color, Quality & Production) to ensure innovation research has supply chain relevance and feasibility.
- Develop and manage relationships with external innovation partners and stakeholders.
- Strategize and manage projects within external relationships to drive milestone execution and assist in vendor capacity, allocation and production strategies.
- Understand how fibers, yarns, knit, and woven constructions, as well as dyeing and finishing affect a material’s aesthetic and performance attributes
- Communicate, visit, and collaborate with global Tier I, II, and III suppliers to aid in material development
- Attend key trade shows and conferences to build a broad range of knowledge and network.
- Travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Coordinate & negotiate costing deliverables across Sourcing, Merch, Design & Finance to ensure margin targets are achieved.
- Conduct analysis on product and development efficiency metrics including: material adoption rates, calendar adherence, etc…
Lands’ End, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Minimum Job Requirements: