Director of Store Planning & Construction
The primary focus of this position will be conception of design layout to construction, workflow for outside consultants (architects), documentation, budget, schedules/deadlines, construction mandates and supervision of the entire process to final delivery. Involved daily with assigned projects and primarily responsible for providing project management throughout, program milestone tracking, schedule development, managing and monitoring critical path activities, site visits as applicable, implementing cost control measures and ensuring budget adherence, design development and pre-construction activities and planning, quality control, threat and risk assessment and providing creative solutions to project issues, punch-list and project closeout.
- Spearhead the design development of the store concept, from initial research (location, budgeting and timing) to project execution.
- Involved in the initial phase of the store delivery process, assess new sites for fit and develop layouts, review and comment on LOD’s and LOI’s.
- Timely, effective and accurate communication to all team members on project status, reporting, setting clear expectations and monitoring those set by others with integrity and transparency.
- Manage project reporting to include weekly construction progress reporting, budget vs cost pro-forma analysis, and weekly schedule and milestone updates.
- Initiate, liaise and coordinate all qualification and vetting, bidding, negotiation and awarding of construction contracts and direct purchase vendors.
- Manage each phase of the project including design development, internal and external design reviews, permitting, bidding, contracting, construction, store turnover and opening, project closeout, and assist with warranty items as needed.
- Responsibility for contract administration, change order review and management, invoice approvals, and verification of accurate accruals, insurance and lien waivers from contractors and vendors. Maintain project documents and drawings on shared portals to ensure quick and easy access by other internal departments.
- Track punch lists and all required closeout documents and procedures to completion and satisfaction of all affected parties.
- Review all relevant exhibits that comprise the “Landlord Tenant Packages” such as Lease Outline Drawings, Tenant Criteria, and As-Builts or Base Building Drawings, ensure compliance and maintain design standards and negotiate with Landlords and Tenant Coordinators when necessary to ensure a best possible design.
- Manage the design development, present designs for internal review and approval and ensure dissemination of relevant documents to all internal business partners
- Assume responsibility for any additional design and construction related projects such as the design prototype, materials library, standard details and communicate to team, development of new fixtures.
- 5+ year Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or Construction or equivalent on-the-job training and a minimum (4) years’ experience in the retail and/or construction industry.
- Thorough command of reading construction documents and doing material take-offs as required and working knowledge of construction means and methods.
- Demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills, analytical and presentation skills.
- Develop and maintain exceptional collaborative relationships with all internal and external teams. Ability to effectively lead external service providers in delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- 15-20% Travel required to visit sites under construction as needed to effectively manage projects…
Lands’ End, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.