Stockton Trailblazer, KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
ABOUT KIPP BAY AREA PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
SCOPE OF THE WORK:
We are seeking a consultant to act as Stockton Trailblazer. This person will lead some of the activities below described and partner with our team to inform key organizational decisions prior to the potential school opening.
This is a 6 to 12-month role available immediately. We will review our needs at the end of the first 6 months to determine future needs.
KEY AREAS OF WORK & EXPECTED OUTCOMES & ACTIVITIES
In collaboration with Chief of Growth, the consultant will lead the following activities and take responsibility for the following outcomes:
1. Understand the South Stockton community--its assets, needs, ambition and demand for new schools--to inform our school design, facilities strategy, and fundraising campaign
- On a weekly basis, share out with the KIPP team key insights about the community
- By March 2019, prepare a short memo of findings that articulates the community’s most important needs and desires
- By June 2019, collaborate with the KIPP Team to prepare a short memo that summarizes:
- The required services and supports to address the community’s expectations and deliver outstanding results.
- The opportunities, and challenges to operating the schools
- Concrete recommendations
By March 1st:
- Meet parent leaders and community leaders one-on-one and in small groups to build organizing capacity and engagement
- Collect signatures from potential parents and from potential teachers in support of the charter petitions
- Identify parent leaders who could advocate for charter petitions at the public hearings
- Provide input to KIPP Chief of Growth to mobilize for public hearings
- Schedule and host regular group information sessions and town hall meetings with community stakeholders
4. Build relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders in support of KIPP’s goals, including but not limited to securing the charters, a permanent home for the schools and catalyze student enrollment. This group of stakeholders includes leaders within the local school district, donors, community members, and leaders of the community and political organizations.
- Help plan and attend meetings with all School Board members and key District officials by March 2019
- Identify and attend neighborhood meetings and community forums to gain insight on local views related to education and related topics
- Coordinate and participate in visits to Aspire, Stockton Collegiate and other successful school operators
- Report key academic and operational findings and recommendations to KIPP team
- Provide feedback to KIPP’s proposed talent strategies and give recommendations
- Build a list of potential school leaders, content specialists and core teachers who could be interested in joining KIPP
Additionally, the consultant will consult and provide support to KIPP to inform a number of decisions, as follows:
- Inform the feasibility of KIPP’s proposed recruitment strategies to ensure access to teacher and leadership talent
- Inform emerging operational or financial hypothesis based on on-the-ground information
- Inform real estate and facilities planning and acquisition strategy
- Inform and help develop the School Design and implementation plan, in partnership with KIPP Academics Team
The ideal trailblazer will have:
- Understanding of and connections with the Stockton community
- Ability to analyze holistically the factors that impact student achievement
- Exceptional relationship building and navigation skills
- A track record of success in independently managing work streams and analyses
- Comfort with the entrepreneurial nature of this work
- 3-5 years of experience in an educational setting
- An unyielding belief in the potential of every child to succeed in top quality high schools, colleges, and the competitive world beyond.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation is based on skills and experience. KIPP and the Trailblazer will define a budget for out of pocket expenses.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume to this page.
Questions? Email Ale Ceja at email@example.com.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.