Data Scientist - Optimization Specialty
Location: San Francisco, CA
For Kelvin, the goal is control. Our team has a diversity of academic and industry experience. We thrive on hard problems in the physical world. Our products are revolutionizing industrial control and enabling machines to begin thinking for themselves. We are committed to delivering the next generation of intelligent control. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to solve interesting challenges on a daily basis. You will contribute in a significant way to the future of the Kelvin products and their strategic development. Technicians, engineers, and industrial managers around the world rely on our products every day to control complex systems.
As a Data Scientist at Kelvin you’ll be part of a small and impactful team as you help us evolve the next generation of control. In your role you’ll be focused on applying optimization to industrial control. You’ll apply both classical and probabilistic methods to inform control strategies for individual machines as well as groups and networks of machines. You’ll work with controls specialists, subject matter experts, data scientists, and automation engineers to develop and implement intelligent industrial control. Your scope will also include developing algorithms that learn and adapt over time to maintain machine performance over time.
● You love data and learning about industrial systems
● You get great satisfaction from improving efficiency and optimizing processes
● You thrive in a fast-paced technical environment
● You operate best in a close-knit, high performing team
● You are at ease when interfacing with people with a wide range of technical backgrounds
● You enjoy complex problems and breaking them down into solvable subcomponents
● You seek a role that requires you to learn constantly
● You value a workplace where honest, sincere, respectful communication is the norm
● MS or PhD in engineering, science, or math field related to mathematical optimization
● Industry work experience: MS + 4 years or PhD + 2 years
● Mastery of scientific method
● Strong programming skills, especially in Python
● Deep experience using mathematical optimization (LP, IP, NLP, Mixed-Integer, convex optimization)
● Exposure to Active Learning + Bayesian Optimization
● Experience solving problems with numerical methods
● Experience with controls theory or stability is a plus
● Experience working with Machine Learning pipelines is a plus
● Experience with statistics, design of experiment, response surface methodology is a plus
● Detail-oriented work habits
● Excellent communication skills
Kelvin believes in putting its employees first. We offer a generous compensation package that includes medical, dental, vision, FSA, unlimited PTO and 401(k) benefits and a match. We are also located in a transit and culture rich location in San Francisco in the Mission district.
Kelvin is deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We believe that different backgrounds and life experiences make our team better. We do not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local law or ordinance.