Mechanical Engineering Co-op
Kal Tire is Canada’s largest independent tire dealer and tire services provider and a global leader in mining tire services. With over 250 stores, four warehouses and 10 retread plants in Canada, and servicing more than 150 mine sites across five continents, Kal Tire is a truly global company.
Kal Tire’s more than 6,500 team members intently focus on providing customers with trustworthy advice, great products and fantastic service.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer Co-op Student who will work closely with our team to assist in designing mechanical and electromechanical products and systems. Developing and testing specifications and methods is another major part of this great opportunity. This opportunity provides Mechanical Engineering students the chance to gain valuable learning while working on some of Kal Tire’s most innovative and dynamic practices.
- Evaluates mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs; applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics and materials;
- Design and implement cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability;
- Develop, test and evaluate theoretical designs;
- Ensure a product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in mining operating environments;
- Manage projects using engineering principles and techniques;
- Produce details of specifications and outline designs;
- Recommend modifications following prototype test results;
- Use research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills, particularly mathematical modelling and computer-aided design;
- Develop mechanical and electromechanical products by researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials; solicit observations from field operators;
- Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends;
- Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special services;
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering at an accredited university/college or equivalent
- Demonstrated application of engineering principles with building tooling for equipment
- Strong fundamental knowledge of mechanical design and its application
- Critical thinking with exceptional problem solving skills, able to work independently or in team environment
- Efficiently organize and plan work tasks to meet company goals
- Proactive, resourceful & highly motivated with good communication skills and ability to work in high output environment
- Strong knowledge and experience in Solidworks and Microsoft Office
- Advance use of Excel and data bases (Access).
Kal Tire welcomes your interest in the Engineering Co-op opportunity.