Kal Tire is Canada’s largest independent tire dealer and one of North America’s largest commercial tire dealers with over 250 Kal Tire retail and commercial stores in Canada, warehouse facilities and 10 retread manufacturing plants. In addition, Kal Tire’s Mining Tire Group is a global leader in mining tire service and supply, operating on more than 150 mine sites across 18 countries and five continents. The company employs more than 6,500 team members globally.
The CPA student role is a training position for accountants who are enrolled in the CPA training program. In this role you will be enrolled in our Pre-Approved training program where you will get the necessary breadth and depth required to meet the work experience requirements of the CPA program. In the program you will have the opportunity to rotate into three areas within the Finance team, which includes the following: Canadian Ops Accounting; Consolidations; and Internal Audit.
Canadian Ops Accounting is the point-of-entry for the intern position. Assigned responsibilities are generally well-defined, closely supervised and routine in nature. In this department you will assist with monthly reporting of one or more business divisions (e.g. Stores, Warehouses, Retread Plants, Mining Tire Group); complete account reconciliations and assist with preparation of board report materials.
While working in Consolidations, the internship provides the opportunity to gain global knowledge by assisting international subsidiaries with financial uploads and participating in the preparation and review of international statements and balance sheets.
The Internal Audit rotation requires the intern to work under the guidance of the Manager Internal Audit in planning and executing financial, operational and technical audits across Kal Tire globally.
Financial Statement Preparation and Review
- Prepare journal entries
- Review of departmental P&L’s
- Completion of monthly account reconciliations including investigation and correction of variances
- Assist International subsidiaries with foreign sub trial balance uploads and ensure they are accurate and completed within deadlines
- Prepare and review international income statements and balance sheets in Local and translated currency
- Identify and resolve significant variances/anomalies prior to distribution
Reporting and Analysis
- Assist with financial analysis for management
- Create ad hoc management reports when required to provide more detailed information and to further assist in decision making
- Prepare lead sheets for year-end audit file
- Assist with quarterly Board reporting requirements
Plan and Execute Internal Audits
- Under the guidance of the Manager Internal Audit, plan and execute financial, operational and technical audits in line with the Professional Practice Framework as prescribed by the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Ensure audits are efficiently performed and accurately interpret results against defined criteria
- Evaluate audit observations and draft recommendations to improve policies, processes, procedures, efficiency, and controls to mitigate risk
- Work with business stakeholders, operations teams, development teams, technical SMEs, and leadership to ensure that the solutions provided align with the business requirements and business objectives.
- Use analytical tools and methodologies to analyze data and identify process improvement opportunities
- Perform monthly analysis on Canadian store data to identify questionable transactions
- Support other internal audit team members in performing data analytics and summarizing results
Audit Reporting and Follow up
- Follow up on prior audit results to monitor and verify management’s remediation of observations
- Track and report the status of audit projects
- Assist with GL maintenance activities
- Provide a high level of customer service to stores, Vernon office teams, and management
- A minimum of one year experience in a senior administrative position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Eager to learn and self-motivated
- Conscientious, thorough and detail-oriented
- Project and time management skills
- Aptitude for learning computer applications and accounting systems quickly
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, particularly Word and Excel
- Enrolled in the CPA training program.
- Occasional travel will be required; internal audit work may require some international travel
- Prior experience in a corporate accounting environment
- Other general volunteer or work experience
KAL TIRE AIMS
Must be consistently able to demonstrate the Kal Tire AIMS.