Mid- Level Hardware Exploitation Engineer
In providing Hardware Exploitation Engineer (mid-level) support, the Contractor shall provide some or all of services as required:
- Conduct technical exploitation and examination of High Priority Digital Media to include:
- Conduct reverse engineering, failure analysis, and vulnerability analysis of hardware to identify exploitation opportunities
- Modify hardware to either enable forensic analysis of the media or to change the functionality of the hardware for other purposes
- Perform inspection, imaging, decapsulation, deprocessing, and other activities related to hardware reverse engineering and exploitation in a state-of-theart microelectronics exploitation laboratory
- Development and maintain frameworks, processes, design patterns, techniques, tools, and standards for conducting hardware exploitation of digital media
- Keep abreast of and report on scientific, engineering, and operational advances in hardware exploitation
- Serve as a subject matter expert for NMEC, its partners, and its customers.
- Full-Scope forensic examinations from the hardware aspect of media
- Given a target communications device, use reverse engineering tools and methods to determine vulnerabilities of the device for technical exploitation purposes.
- Determine how it boots/initializes, and obtaining a binary that can be used for reverse engineering.
- Identify the function that respond to network connections requests, understand internal communications mechanisms, outlining the general structure of the system software, and determining how system state is altered/saved.
- Prepare technical reports, present results, and demonstrate system capabilities to peer review groups, managers, and sponsors
- Lead teams and participate in the analysis of embedded platform firmware and operating systems to understand security vulnerabilities associated with various platform communication links.
- Develop and execute test plans to ensure all requirements of developed capabilities are fully satisfied
- Using knowledge gained through the application of reverse-engineering and other research techniques, field low-level C and assembly applications for embedded ARM platforms that interface directly with platform hardware.
- Provide data recovery processes for hard drives, thumb drives, and other kind media with storage capacity.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or Electrical Engineering and at least five (5) years of related experience. A Master of Science in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering may be substituted for three (3) years of required experience. A PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering may be substituted for four (4) years of required experience.
- Assembly language and C/C++ programming experience. Solid understanding of programming language and operating system concepts
- Experience requiring skills in reverse engineering of embedded systems with proprietary operating systems for the express purpose of introducing functionality to an already existing fielded system.
- Experience researching a hardware platform to understand the software and hardware interaction of embedded systems.
- Experience requiring knowledge of C and Assembler software engineering for embedded platforms that run commercial and/or custom operating systems.
- Experience requiring a working knowledge of embedded system design, communication with peripheral devices at the hardware level and reverse engineering of system software.
- Working experience in scripting Languages: shell, Perl, Python or the like.
- Working experience in Microprocessors/Architectures: ARM, MIPS, RISC, PowerPC, XScale, StrongARM, x86. Familiar with microprocessor instruction sets is desired.
- Experience Operating Systems: VxWorks, Integrity, Embedded Linux, JunOS, Linux, Unix, Windows Embedded. Experience with RTOS desired.
- Experience IDEs: Tornado, Workbench, VxSim, MULTI, TimeMachine, TraceEdge, Eagle CAD
- Experience in Hardware Tools and Debuggers: Green Hills Probe, SuperTrace Probe, Slingshot, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, JTAG, Agilent Technologies equipment.
- Working experience in Software Tools and Debuggers: Wireshark, IDA Pro, 011yDbg, pcap, gdb, make, hex editor.
- Experience requiring excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Some of these requirements may be waived by the government.
- Contractor personnel shall be required to complete and pass a written test, prior to beginning work on the contract.
- Current TS/SCI with CI Poly