Information Assurance (IA) System Security Engineer I
The Information System Security Engineer (ISSE) is primarily responsible for conducting information system security engineering activities with a focus on lifecycle of current systems and future requirement scoping. The position will collect and process the captured information security requirements and ensures that the requirements are effectively integrated into information systems through purposeful security architecting, design, development, and configuration. The position is an integral part of the development team designing and developing organizational information systems or upgrading legacy systems. The ISSE employs best practices when implementing security requirements within an information system including software engineering methodologies, system/security engineering principles, secure design, secure architecture, and secure coding techniques. This position’s main function is working within Special Access Programs (SAPs) supporting Department of Defense (DoD) agencies, such as HQ Air Force, Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) and Military Compartments efforts. The position will provide “day-to-day” support for Collateral, Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) and Special Access Program (SAP) activities.
Performance shall include:
- Perform oversight of the development, implementation and evaluation of information system security program policy; special emphasis placed upon integration of existing SAP network infrastructures
- Perform analysis of network security, based upon the Risk Management Framework (RMF) with emphasize on Joint Special Access Program Implementation Guide (JSIG) authorization process
- Provides expert support, research and analysis of exceptionally complex problems, and processes relating to them
- Serves as technical expert to the Cybersecurity Assessment Program providing technical direction, interpretation and alternatives to complex problems
- Thinks independently and demonstrates exceptional written and oral communications skills. Applies advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts
- Contributes to the development of new principles, concepts, and methodologies.
- Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides highly innovative and ingenious solutions
- Recommends cybersecurity software tools and assists in the development of software tool requirements and selection criteria to include the development of product specific STIGs from applicable DISA SRGs
- Leads technical teams in implementation of predetermined long-range goals and objectives
- Support customer and SAP community IA working groups, participate in SSE IPT reviews
- Provides expert level consultation and technical services on all aspects of Information Security
- Review ISSE related designs and provides security compliance recommendations
- Develop and provide IA risk management recommendations to the customer
- Provide ISSE support for Mission and Training systems design and development
- Assist with development and maintenance of the Program Protection Plan
- Assist with site activation activities and design reviews
- Represent the customer in various ISSE related working groups, advisory groups, and advisory council meetings
- Strong background in Patch/Configuration management, DevOps, and tier 3 support
- Assist team to design, integrate, and implement JSIG/RMF Continuous Monitoring tools and processes
- Integrate COTS & GOTS products to collect, display and remediate a variety of automated system security and system operations/performance functions and metrics.
- Perform security assessments of servers/network devices/security appliances
- Develop improvements to security assessments with regard to accuracy and efficiency
- Integrate ancillary monitoring tools/capabilities with the enterprise security information and event management (SIEM) and create/tailor complex event alarms/rules and summary reports
- Write and execute cybersecurity test procedures for validation of control compliance
- Monitor/analyze output of cybersecurity related tools for reportable security incidents and residual risk
- Analyze technical risk of emerging cybersecurity tools and processes
- Work as part of a security incident response team as needed
- Build operational Operations and Maintenance (O&M) checklists to maintain the service (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly O&M checklists); build Tactics, Techniques and Processes (TTPs) and Standard Operating Processes (SOPs) associated with service checklists
- Integrate/Develop new techniques to improve Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability for networks/systems operating at various classification levels
- Advanced technical competency in one or more of the following supported platforms: Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers, MS Hyper-V/VMWare/ESx/Xen Hypervisors, Enterprise networking/firewalls/intrusion detection/prevention systems, forensic analysis/vulnerability assessment, Group Policy management and configuration, Scripting, BMC Footprints, WSUS, Lumension, Bitlocker, SQL Server 2012, TomCat, IIS, Windows Server 2012r2/2016, Win 10, Red Hat 6.5, Microsoft Office
- Toolkits, SEIMs, Logrhythm, ACAS/Nessus/SCAP, mandatory/role-based access control concepts (e. g. SE Linux extensions to RHEL, PitBull, AppArmor, and Sentris) , video teleconferencing/VOIP, Oracle/MS SQL database security, and Apache/IIS Web server security
- 10 - 12 years related experience
- Prior performance in roles such as ISSO, ISSM, SCA or SAP IT Technical Director
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience (4 years)
- Must meet position and certification requirements outlined in DoD Directive 8570.01-M for Information Assurance Manager Level III or Information Assurance Architect and Engineer Level I within 6 months of the date of hire
- Current and active Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility
- Eligibility for access to Special Access Program Information
- Willingness to submit to a Counterintelligence polygraph
- Must have expert knowledge of DoD, National and applicable service and agency security policy, manuals and standards. Must have the ability to work in a dynamic environment and effectively interact with numerous DOD, military/civilian personnel and industry partners
- Experience with SOC Tools: Forcepoint, ACAS, ESS, Splunk, WSUS, DISA STIG tools, Document Detective.
- Experience with AWS Cloud, JIRA/Confluence, BitBucket, Networking Infrastructure as Code.
- Familiarity with AGILE/CI-CD/DevSecOps is a plus.