Techical Director Mirum Atlanta
The Technical Director is responsible for leading a diverse team of technologists. They are responsible for the creation and delivery of Mirum’s technology products and platforms and assuring that the delivery of Mirum’s technical output is of the highest quality.
The person in this role is sought out as a technology thought leader both by internal Mirum personnel and Mirum’s clients. They will be expected to present information on technology platforms and services as well as assist in generating new business by responding to RFPs or estimation, scoping, and reviewing SOWs of work with current clients.
This person is also looked at to be a cultural leader within Mirum, shaping how technology collaborates with other disciplines, fostering communication among different team members and helping to lead initiatives for the entire office. The Technical Director ensures that the technology goals established by the CTO are aligned to among their entire technology team.
Above all, as part of the leadership team, the Technical Director is expected to lead by example in attitude by fostering an environment of problem solving, learning, growth, and producing excellent work for our clients. They will be responsible for mentoring, developing, and supporting their team’s individual goals and career paths.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Business Growth
- Lead with a strong presence and commitment to the success of Mirum as a member of the local office Executive Team; commit to collaboration with the local Managing Director, the leadership team and prioritizing decisions for the good of the business, the work and the good of the whole
- Act as a role model and leader; promote Mirum’s values by acting as an ambassador for the local agency and partnering with office leads and other disciplines to enhance Mirum’s work and culture
- Lead by example and with authenticity – manage, mentor and grow team through integrity, accountability, honesty and consideration for the individual and the good of the whole; demonstrate emotional intelligence, strong leadership and mentoring skills
- Display integrity – be sincere in behaviour and in dealings with others; take responsibility for your actions and follow through on promise and request; treat others with respect
- Demonstrate passion – approach all tasks in a wholehearted and enthusiastic manner; take a proactive, ‘can-do’ and tenacious approach
- Think innovatively – look beyond the obvious to develop highly creative and impactful solutions for our agency and clients
- Results focused – understand what is important to the client and the agency and commit to achieving goals
- Work collaboratively – recognize and promote the value and responsibility of working in a team; seek to achieve win-win solutions to problems
- Self-motivated and self-aware – commit to personal development to continuously improve with a sound understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses; look for and learn from new information, failures, and experiences
- Strive to achieve excellence in business, team and work
- Represent Mirum as a subject matter expert in speaking engagements, industry events and thought leadership ideas and/or publications; support the creation of thought leadership and advise and educate internal teams and clients on their relevance and value
- Provide technology insight to potential clients as part of our new business process and own the “solutions story”
- Educate clients and internal stakeholders in identifying Tech and innovation needs, opportunities, current and emerging trends and where we should be focusing work for the future
- Work with existing clients to identify technology solutions that meet the digital needs of the client and the client’s end user.
- Lead or assist the tech initiatives in new business pitches when needed
- Partner with resourcing leads or the business development team to assign and cast team members to projects, pitches and new business initiatives
- Engage internal, partner and Mirum stakeholders to deepen relationships and generate revenue opportunities
- Provide input to RFP, RFI and SLA agreements as well as SOW’s and MSA negotiations as the solutions expert
- Work with the CTO to develop and drive the overall technology agenda and growth of Mirum’s Technology practice, process, and services
- Be the “go-to” person for creatively applying technology solutions and offerings from partners to clients’ needs in an executable manner
- Provide support to the project teams to ensure planning, resourcing and execution of platform projects achieve success with timelines and quality
- Be on hand to communicate with senior client stakeholders as to the purpose, definition and outcomes of implementations that are in progress
- Assist in continuously improving Mirum’s solutions through analysis of current projects and methodologies and learning outcomes from completed projects
- Establish consistent engineering principles and procedures, coordinate integrated software releases, and provide guidance on best practices and engineering problem resolution throughout the organization
- Partner with the Managed Systems team to deliver and maintain client solutions
- Maintain a pulse on end-to-end performance of hosted solutions for your clients
- Lead applications/systems architecture and design initiatives
- Evaluate proposed designs and architecture for feasibility of design and sustainability under long-term development and support efforts
- Lead software development teams to gather, define, and document product and solution requirements
Team Development and Collaboration
- Lead and develop a team of diverse skillsets including engineers, web developers, and business analysts.
- Become familiar with technology offerings of all Mirum offices and help identify areas of collaboration
- Have or develop expert knowledge of technology solutions and be able to articulate these to you’re your team and peers
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies and improvements in current solutions and advise Mirum on these and their relevance
- Assist in the education and up-skilling of other Mirum team members
- Understand and enforce cross-team, cross office collaboration
- Add value by finding innovative, yet relevant technology solutions to platform related issues/projects
- Bring enthusiasm to the team - a hunger to contribute to the agency
- Develop respect and a strong rapport with internal teams and teams within the client accounts
- Continually audit team to elevate the level of talent and skills needed year over year; help to create a balanced skill sets as needed in offices and regions
- Ensure synergy or collaboration between the Design, UX and Creative, Production, Account, Analytics, Strategy teams, and agency partners
- Partner with MD’s, Talent/HR leads on recruitment, development, training and retention strategies for your team; identify educational and up-skill opportunities
- Mentor talent to make them better at their craft and grow their creative, presentation, client and soft skills
- Keep attrition low
- Interview and hire top talent and grow those who have aptitude.
- Must be able to foster a culture of integrity, authenticity, passion, respect, innovation,and collaboration while also mentoring managers to do the same.
What you need:
- 7+ years professional experience managing product development and engineering teams in the Internet industry
- High-level familiarity with multiple programming languages such as C/C++/PHP/Java/.NET/RoR
- Familiarity with cloud computing architectures.
- Familiarity with large scale infrastructure management across multiple data centers with continuous monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to manage focused teams and concurrent project tracks with attention to achieving milestones and executing on deliverables in a predictable manner.
- Technical experience in both Microsoft and LAMP environments.
- Scrum/Agile experience.
- History of cutting edge technical development at both individual and team level.
- Experience with highly scalable and highly available systems architectures.
- Good working knowledge of leading online consumer categories.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Thrives in a creative and short-term delivery environment.
- Experience building and managing multidisciplinary teams (WebDev, Engineering, BA)
- Experience with Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration to ensure on-the-go release of application updates with minimal risk.
- Implement solid and robust testing process including internal and external processes for white, grey and blackbox testing.
- Ensure knowledge sharing and transfer mechanisms within Development teams to ensure no single dependency.
- Review solutions and set up practices to ensure that code reviews are in place.
- Ability to be hands-on when needed and give direction in solving complex technical problems.
- Have deep knowledge on multi-platform and multi-language (code lang.) deployments.
- Experience at packaging work to be outsourced as if it were insourced – using external companies to complete work as opposed to just hiring more people.
- Experience in road mapping and time estimating releases - experience in shipping products on time and with quality.
- Understand that User Experience/Design is the complimentary to technology and have experience at building consumer friendly solutions that are UX focused.
- Ensure security standards and compliance requirements are met with respect to hosted systems and developer tools
- Co-manage the build and operate for client hosted systems.
- Leverage tools that allow the automation of infrastructure thus allowing easy scaling and monitoring
- Understand performance bottlenecks, failure points, and security holes in such large scale systems, then design and implement solutions that avoid them.
- Administer application-level knowledge of back-end systems architecture, as well as contribution to the overall design to monitor and sustain our high standards of availability, security and performance
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.