SENIOR FOOD TECHNOLOGIST
Planterra Foods. is fully funded Plant-Based Protein start-up in Boulder County, CO. It’s an investment by the JBS Company, the world’s largest protein producer and the second largest food company in the world.
We are growing our team and are looking for talented and driven R&D professionals who will be based in our new office in Lafayette, CO and will help build the best plant based protein company in the world!
The primary responsibility of this role is creation of new plant based protein products. This position frequently collaborates with Marketing, Sales, and Operations.
- Develops new products leveraging expertise in food chemistry, food ingredient functionality and experimental design
- Works collaboratively and develops strong relationships with cross functional teams including Marketing, QA, Operations and Sales to solve key business issues and drive profitable growth
- Translates consumer needs into product innovation and renovation
- Manages and oversees R&D technical functions such as sensory, shelf life testing, legal label claims, product/packaging improvement
- Manages and develops scientific approaches to business needs in areas of flavor and microbial shelf life
- Independently completes research projects to design, develop and improve new and existing product portfolio
- Provides product costs based on commodities, ingredients, and product formulations
- Responsible for sourcing ingredients and leveraging vendor expertise in ingredient functionality
- Creates product samples by working with various production equipment, such as grinders, injectors, dicers, slicers, or chillers, etc.
- Tests ideas on processing or packaging attributes that would improve product performance or desirability
- Develop and maintain product specification, ingredient statements, allergen information and formulas for seasoning blends; then incorporate respective information into the label design process as needed
- Participates in production trials and works with new product start-ups- ensure products are made to spec.
- Works with production personnel on scale up of new products, suggests initial order quantities for ingredients and packaging, obtain cost of materials
- Provides support on technical and/or quality issues
- Act as a technical resource to support quality issues, answer questions about products, production capabilities, labeling regulations
- Present new products to customers; often involves cooked preparation of multiple items or full meals
- Prepare product samples and ship to customers as requested
- General awareness of USDA & FDA regulations, restricted/limited ingredients and approved processing procedures
- Optimizes cost/quality and process improvements contributing to increased product quality and profitability for the business
- Designs tests, interpret results and recommend next steps in product development
- Assists QA/QC in the analysis of product that generates customer complaints
- Education: Master’s in Food Science or related
- 7+ years of progressive experience in R&D of food product development and technical services leading teams
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Intermediate ability in Microsoft Office products, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels both internal and external
- Experience with a start-up or new business venture preferred
- Ability to travel as needed (25-50%)