Job Title: Principal Scientist
Location: Council Bluffs, IA or Ottumwa, IA
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Plumrose USA is a company with an 80-year history of providing high quality, great tasting sliced meats, bacon, ham and ribs. Plumrose was recently acquired by JBS, the world’s leading provider of beef, chicken and pork, with a vision of building the company into a leader in Protein Centric Prepared Foods. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements. This is an opportunity for a person who wants to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
Scope Of Position:
Principal Scientist to perform food product development work to meet project objectives in the Meat Category. Projects will be heavily focused on new bacon formula and process development, quality improvement, process optimization and cost optimization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned
- Executes small scale and large scale plant tests
- Creates and manages product specifications
- Maintains accurate and complete records, analyzes reports
- Utilizes a working knowledge of plant processes and facilities
- Provides onsite monitoring and technical assistance to operations when testing/manufacturing new products.
- Leads commercialization of product changes and implementation of new items and processes.
- Works with cross-functional team members to flawless implement to formulations, manufacturing processes and commissioning new equipment and manufacturing lines
- Identify and lead projects to drive revenue and margin growth for the organization
Pro-active self-starter, willing to accept responsibility for completion of business tasks. Must be a driven individual that can take ownership of projects and R&D responsibilities and complete all the relevant tasks required for the job with minimal oversight.
- Autonomous self-starter that is accountable to delivering exceptional project results. Must be self-motivated, with ability to follow through and complete task in the given deadlines
- Excellent collaboration and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Must be able to work closely with many departments including Sales, Regulatory, R&D, Quality, Marketing, Purchasing, and Production.
- Must be able to work in a food manufacturing environment and be able to flawless transition products and processes from R&D to operations
- Clear, concise written and oral communication skills required with attention to detail and accuracy mandatory
- Computer skills that include Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Demonstrated technical competence
- Demonstrated motivation and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to interact with others in manufacturing, lab and office environment
- Reliable work history, punctuality, and dependability
- Bachelor’s degree in meat science/food science or equivalent with 15 years of industry experience or Graduate degree with 12+ years of experience. Or significant relevant industry experience.
- Extensive background in food product development
- Significant Project Management experience
- None at this time
50% - mostly to Midwest production facilities (Council Bluffs, IA – Ottumwa, IA – Elkhart, IN)
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan. Plumrose USA is an equal opportunity employer.