This position is responsible for directing operations which include receipt of fertile eggs, traying, debeaking, vaccination, grading, and placement of baby chicks at growout. This manager will also ensure that quality chicks are being produced.
- Direct the Hatchery to produce the highest quality chicks at the highest percentage hatch rate possible for the lowest cost.
- Ensure that the Hatchery, Tech Advisors, and Contract Producers follow Animal Welfare guidelines.
- Plans production, spending, and capital improvement projects.
- Prepares yearly budget for the hatchery.
- Controls cost in labor, repairs, supplies, and vaccines.
- Prepares monthly reports and graphs on hatchery performance.
- Reports egg fertility and hatching residue results, as needed, to breeder department.
- Ensure compliance with Company and OSHA safety guidelines.
- Ensures completion of all quality assurance checks for the following: chick quality, vaccination checks, equipment checks, and maintenance work.
- Follow D.O.T. regulations as well as environmental regulations.
- Consult with company veterinarian before making changes.
- Prepares employee schedules, approves vacation requests, and hires new employees as needed
Typically requires an Associates Degree or completion of Vocational/Technical specialty certification/licensure program in a related field. Bachelors degree in related field is preferred.
Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of DIRECTLY RELATED experience. DIRECTLY RELATED work experience will be accepted on a year-for-year basis in lieu of the educational requirement.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
- SAP experience preferred
- Able to work evenings/weekends as needed