Pilgrim’s is the second largest chicken producer in the world, with operations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Mexico and the U.K. Pilgrim’s processes, prepares, packages and delivers fresh, further-processed and value-added poultry products for sale to customers in more than 100 countries, employs more than 50,000 people and contracts with more than 5,200 family farmers. Pilgrim’s is headquartered in beautiful Greeley, Colorado, at the JBS USA corporate office where our 1,200 employees enjoy more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
Pilgrim’s is seeking a Packaging Engineer to be based at our Corporate Office in Greeley, CO.
Manage various projects as directed including package design; materials/equipment sourcing, evaluation, procurement, installation and launch. The engineer supports all aspects of packaging fresh and/or processed meats. Interaction with internal departments as well as vendors and co-packers.
- Frequent communication with all departments as well as external vendors
- Manage priorities and dynamic deadlines
- Evaluation of new/alternative materials
- Involvement in vendor selection & qualification
- Graphics involvement as needed
- Materials involvement, includes, not limited to; corrugated paper, folding cartons, flexible films (thermoforming, shrink, poly, stretch wrap), adhesives, cohesives, trays in various materials and formats, and pressure sensitive labels (including both direct and thermal transfer print)
Equipment & Processes Involvement
- Equipment, includes, not limited to; case erecting, forming, sealing including hot melt adhesive application; horizontal & vertical-form-fill-seal, vacuum packaging, MAP tray sealing, flow-wrappers, shrink bundling, weigh-price labelers, inline film & bag printing, CIJ printers
- Search out the reduction of labor and/or materials costs
- Support for new and existing packaging
- Write packaging specifications
- Stay abreast of current & future packaging technologies and packaging innovations through industry organizations, exhibitions, and supplier relationships
- Work with vendors in the development of new packaging and/or the modification of existing.
- Direct the evaluation/design of packaging operations to optimize productivity & quality.
- Improve existing packaging products and processes
- Provide technical assessments for new & existing packaging
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging or related field
- Two years’ experience in packaging or related field preferred
- SAP knowledge beneficial
- Knowledge of food industry strongly preferred
- Organized and detail oriented
- Efficient time management and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Intermediate ability in Microsoft Office products, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels, both internal and external
- Ability to travel up to 50% for project periods