Principal Backend Developer
We are a group of cloud storage companies including Livedrive, SugarSync and KeepItSafe under the J2 Global Cloud Storage banner. Our platforms already protects millions of customers and we're growing rapidly through organic growth and partnership with big household names.
We have a fast moving, high-speed development environment and self-host our multi-petabyte storage cloud. We constantly optimise our platform for the best possible throughput and cost/GB.
We are looking for an amazing platform developer to help build, maintain and improve SugarSync backend systems as part of our cross-functional team based in Paddington.
You will be surrounded by people with experience in many areas and get the chance to collaborate with them, learning new skills. We're agile from bottom to top and we insist on clean code and automated acceptance and unit tests.
Plus our friendly colleagues are always up to something, from pool tournaments and ping pong games to board game lunches and special days out.
- Build and maintain core backend platforms for SugarSync
- Always strive to deliver high quality products, even under time pressure
- Focus on clean code and best practices
- Ensure your code is bug free through automated tests
- Work on big and small improvements to enhance the overall platform reliability
- Measure, understand and improve system throughput
- Extend the capability of existing services
- Migrate some of the services from C++ to Java
- Modernise the current tech stack
- Work closely with QA from the definition of new stories to the final release
- Work with the rest of the team to define new features and improvements for the backend platforms
Requirements and Experience:
- 7+ years experience in a technical role
- 4+ years experience working with distributed systems, particularly pub/sub architecture
- Strong working knowledge of both C++ and Java
- Good experience with SQL
- Familiarity with Linux (tech stack mostly built on CentOS)
- Experience with AWS services like S3
- Able and willing to debug issues end-to-end, from the Build / CI system to Production runtime behaviour
- SOLID design principles, clean code
- TDD, unit and automated testing
- Detail-oriented, with a focus on quality and accuracy
- Familiarity with service metrics and graphing tools to visualize those metrics
- Experience with ACE networking libraries (C++)
- Experience with ElasticSearch
About j2 Global
Founded in 1995, j2 Global® (NASDAQ:JCOM) is an award winning, leading provider of Internet services through its two divisions: Business Cloud Services and Digital Media.
The Business Cloud Services Division offers Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications and CRM solutions. It markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe® and Onebox® and operates a messaging network spanning 49 countries on six continents.
The Digital Media Division, created with j2 Cloud Services’ November 2012 acquisition of Ziff Davis, Inc.
Ziff Davis, Inc. is the leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men's lifestyle categories, reaching over 117 million unique visitors per month. Ziff Davis sites include Mashable.com, IGN.com, PCMag.com, AskMen.com, ComputerShopper.com, ExtremeTech.com, Geek.com, LogicBuy.com and Toolbox.com. Ziff Davis also operates NetShelter, the largest community of technology publishers dedicated to consumer electronics, computing and mobile communications. Ziff Davis B2B is a leading provider of online research to enterprise buyers and high-quality leads to IT vendors.
As of December 31, 2016, j2 Cloud Services had achieved 21 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth.
For more information about j2, please visit www.j2global.com
At j2 Global®, we work in a culture of collaboration and welcome those who desire to join our growing global community. We seek enthusiastic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit looking for an environment that rewards your best work.
J2 Global offers competitive salaries, health benefits, a 401k, and company-sponsored events. If you’re seeking a dynamic work environment where you can see the direct impact of your performance, then j2 is the place for you.
J2 Global® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.