Lead Software Developer
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the successful candidate will be leading an Agile development team responsible for design, development, and maintenance of automation tooling around customer invoicing, large scale data migration, and system integration for the Cloud Security division of j2 Cloud Services. We're looking for a seasoned developer with a solid understanding of system design, microservice development and design, and a track record of excellence in technical leadership.
The ideal applicant would have domain experience with software as a service distribution and development of related tooling or experience with large scale mail systems with fluency in related technologies.
The applicant will work in a fast paced, rewarding environment and be given the opportunity to participate in hands-on service and system design and development that have a meaningful impact to the business. Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written are a must, as you will be working closely with product management and key stakeholders to create technical requirements, providing service and system design guidance to the team, and participating in detailed software design and peer reviews.
We prefer a passionate technical leader with qualifications and solid experience in several of the following areas:
- Open source contributor
- Experience with Java and/or Go
- Experience designing and consuming REST APIs
- Experience with MySQL, Postgres and/or Redis
- Experience building, maintaining, and operating twelve-factor applications
- Exposure to container orchestration platforms (Nomad, Consul, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or equivalent
- Provide accurate estimates for the team's tasks, projects, and other initiatives to senior management
- Lead regular sprint planning meetings, retrospectives, and daily stand-ups aligned with Agile methodologies
- Champion industry standard software design, quality, and testing principles and mentor team members as needed
- Work closely with engineering leadership to drive forward the architecture of existing and new systems
- Guide discussions around functional requirements of projects with non-technical stakeholders
- Lead creation of technical requirements and drive service and system design discussions with the team
- Utilize project management software to track team progress for tasks and provide weekly written updates on progress
- Perform final review of code changes prior to deployment
- Operate as an individual contributor on projects and one-off requests as required by the needs of the business
- Develop robust web applications and services to meet product requirements
- Write well-documented, clean and refactored code based on TDD practice
- Work closely with the System Operations team to deploy, debug, and maintain production applications and services
Job or Project Requirements and Experience
- Experience in Agile development, application design, and general software development best practices
- Experience with the Docker ecosystem (Engine, Compose, etc)
- Experience with CI/CD tooling (Travis CI, Bamboo, or similar)
- Proficiency with Git and Linux systems
- Proficiency with at least one statically typed compiled language (Go, Java, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational databases
- Proficiency with asynchronous and event-driven application design and development
- A minimum of 5 years of professional software development experience
- BA/BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team on multiple projects in a fast-paced development environment
- Attention to detail and a passion for quality
- Excellent communications skills (oral, written, and presentation) in English
j2 Cloud Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About j2 Global
Founded in 1995, j2 Global® (NASDAQ:JCOM) is an award winning, leading provider of Internet services through its two divisions: Business Cloud Services and Digital Media.
The Business Cloud Services Division offers Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications and CRM solutions. It markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe® and Onebox® and operates a messaging network spanning 49 countries on six continents.
The Digital Media Division, created with j2 Cloud Services’ November 2012 acquisition of Ziff Davis, Inc.
Ziff Davis, Inc. is the leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men's lifestyle categories, reaching over 117 million unique visitors per month. Ziff Davis sites include Mashable.com, IGN.com, PCMag.com, AskMen.com, ComputerShopper.com, ExtremeTech.com, Geek.com, LogicBuy.com and Toolbox.com. Ziff Davis also operates NetShelter, the largest community of technology publishers dedicated to consumer electronics, computing and mobile communications. Ziff Davis B2B is a leading provider of online research to enterprise buyers and high-quality leads to IT vendors.
As of December 31, 2016, j2 Cloud Services had achieved 21 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth.
For more information about j2, please visit www.j2global.com
At j2 Global®, we work in a culture of collaboration and welcome those who desire to join our growing global community. We seek enthusiastic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit looking for an environment that rewards your best work.
J2 Global offers competitive salaries, health benefits, a 401k, and company-sponsored events. If you’re seeking a dynamic work environment where you can see the direct impact of your performance, then j2 is the place for you.
J2 Global® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.