Social Good Editor - Mashable
Mashable is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced editor to lead Social Good coverage at its New York City headquarters. The editor will be in charge of covering a range of topics for the section, which focuses on social impact, activism, identities, and innovative efforts to tackle the world's most pressing problems.
The editor will have the opportunity to shape the direction of Mashable’s Social Good stories, and be encouraged to experiment both with topic areas and storytelling styles. The role also includes working in coordination with the experiential team on social impact-focused events, including Mashable’s annual Social Good Summit, and other large projects.
The ideal candidate is eager to work with a small but scrappy team taking smart, nuanced, and intersectional approaches to important issues, from LGBTQ rights to disability issues to feminism to homelessness. A demonstrated interest in writing about racial justice is a plus, as well as a love of technology, innovation, and web culture. Please indicate in your cover letter where your passions lie. A willingness to both learn and lead and be flexible is imperative.
Candidates should have proven reporting and editing experience, be familiar with Mashable's voice and social good coverage, be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and have a strategic, critical eye — all while balancing sensitivity and inclusivity in everything they cover.
The Day to Day
- Taking on 1-2 creative, unique stories per day with social impact at the core
- Oversee a team of writers and the daily workflow of Social Good coverage
- Assigning Social Good stories
- Editing both Mashable writers and freelancers
- Maintaining a Social Good editorial calendar
- Working across the Mashable newsroom to ensure inclusive coverage in all sections
- Driving photo stories, videos, and other long-term projects
- Based in NYC
- Minimum 3-5 years writing experience covering social justice issues
- Minimum 2-4 years editing experience at a media publication
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to recognize the difference between Social Good and inspiration porn
- Solid news writing skills and a critical eye
- Detail-oriented, organized and comfortable managing sensitive topic areas
- A self-starter as well as a team player (a sense of humor is a must!)
- Knowledge of the digital space and Mashable's core coverage areas
Mashable is a global media and entertainment company that’s passionate about culture and tech. With smart, spirited coverage of stories that keep people talking, Mashable reaches millions of users who can’t get enough of the ideas, people, and products they love. Together, our ideas shape the future. Obsess with us.
About j2 Global
Founded in 1995, j2 Global® (NASDAQ:JCOM) is an award winning, leading provider of Internet services through its two divisions: Business Cloud Services and Digital Media.
The Business Cloud Services Division offers Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications and CRM solutions. It markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe® and Onebox® and operates a messaging network spanning 49 countries on six continents.
The Digital Media Division, created with j2 Cloud Services’ November 2012 acquisition of Ziff Davis, Inc.
Ziff Davis, Inc. is the leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men's lifestyle categories, reaching over 117 million unique visitors per month. Ziff Davis sites include Mashable.com, IGN.com, PCMag.com, AskMen.com, ComputerShopper.com, ExtremeTech.com, Geek.com, LogicBuy.com and Toolbox.com. Ziff Davis also operates NetShelter, the largest community of technology publishers dedicated to consumer electronics, computing and mobile communications. Ziff Davis B2B is a leading provider of online research to enterprise buyers and high-quality leads to IT vendors.
As of December 31, 2016, j2 Cloud Services had achieved 21 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth.
For more information about j2, please visit www.j2global.com
At j2 Global®, we work in a culture of collaboration and welcome those who desire to join our growing global community. We seek enthusiastic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit looking for an environment that rewards your best work.
J2 Global offers competitive salaries, health benefits, a 401k, and company-sponsored events. If you’re seeking a dynamic work environment where you can see the direct impact of your performance, then j2 is the place for you.
J2 Global® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.