Senior Network Engineer
The Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for designing, implementing and managing the j2 Global® infrastructure that includes; voice, cloud migration strategies, data networking and will serve as the technical escalation contact for support and project issues. These operations are based upon standards based routing protocols and underlying technologies. The Sr. Network Engineer is required to possess deep knowledge of cloud infrastructure design, firewall security operations, and networking architectures. This Senior position requires global operations as well as advanced expertise with Cisco switching, routing protocols, and various network devices. A CCIE certification is a strong plus.
The Sr. Network Engineer is a hands-on position with an expectation of approximately 55% daily network administration and support tasks and approximately 45% project-related tasks. The Sr. Network Engineer will be responsible for strategic network architectural leadership as well as for designs, project management, and project implementations. This position is required to implement and support the global network architecture.
The j2 Network Administration Group is responsible for and tasked with design, procurement, management and administration of the worldwide data network for j2 Global Communications and its subsidiaries. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong track record of proven results encompassing both the required technical and project delivery skills. It is essential that the successful candidate be able to function as part of a cross-functional, cross-departmental and inter-company team.
- Identify inefficiencies in the current network topology and make recommendations to optimize our network architecture for selective and specific investments that will produce great returns.
- Stay abreast of new technologies and networking trends keeping our architecture design up to date, standardized and competitive.
- Network Engineering skillsets to include; routing, switching, security firewalling, and server load balancing. Unix experience with Open Source Routing is desirable. .
- Leverage AWS cloud infrastructure and plan, design and migrate on premise to cloud resulting in scalable and cost optimal infrastructure.
- Provide primary support for the multiple Data Centers. Manage Capacity. Coordinate vendor operations. Initiate response to Data Center Incidents. Ensure that all incidents are properly recorded in the ticket tracking system.
- Contributes to Global strategies, technology roadmaps and network engineering support.
- Provides strategic design and architecture direction for the j2 data and voice networks. Responsible for successfully implementing network projects, identifying risks, documenting and communicating migration plans to improve j2 infrastructure.
- Provides architectural guidance, recommendations and maintains standardization of networking environments across all j2 global worldwide network infrastructures.
- Recommend and sell internally specific projects that exploit j2’s existing investments in its data network to provide benefits to users, staff and customers.
- Create multi-level documentation of the j2 data network and maintain the currency of this documentation.
- Manage all tasks and projects, and ensure that all items are tracked in the ticketing system and being handled in a manner that meets or exceeds established SLAs.
- Ensure all network systems will always be properly backed up to ensure recoverability.
- Develop network architecture standards and implement network designs that fulfill the requirements of the project stakeholders.
- Working with Information Security, implement and enforce strong Network Security techniques and procedures.
- Provide Network Engineering support, design, and strategic input on various projects.
- Troubleshoot all components of the j2 worldwide voice and data network including but not limited to routers, switches, firewalls, proxies, VPN, LAN/WAN, load balancers, internal and external routing protocols, etc.
- Must be available for on call rotation and possible travel when needed.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation
- Deftness to handle multiple simultaneous competing priorities and deliver solutions in a timely manner.
- Capability to easily change priorities as the business dictates.
- Produce project plans and statuses for projects you are managing.
- Develop standards (e.g. naming conventions, system configuration, methods and practices, etc.) for network assets.
- Promote teamwork within the team and foster cooperation with other groups and departments.
- Resolve assigned trouble tickets and maintain accurate status in the j2 ticketing system (jAMS)
- Prepare SLA’s, policies, escalation and maintenance procedures for network devices and related peripherals.
- Prepare project documentation, status reporting, policies, procedures and reports assigned by management.
- Demonstrate initiation and dedication as well as an ability to work independently once general direction is given.
- Communicate information through effective written and oral communication and presentations.
- Participate in change control and production control processes.
- Provide support for multi-vendor environments with Fortinet, Avaya, and Juniper.
- 10+ years of demonstrated abilities in network engineering in a multi-protocol environment.
- 10+ years with Cisco Series routers and switches, dynamic routing protocols (e.g. BGP, EIGRP, RIPv2, OSPF, etc.), ASA Firewalls, Catalyst switches, Nexus Switches, IOS Router OS, FEX, Fabric Path, NetScaler and F5 Server Load balancer.
- 10+ years’ experience with network security products and protocols (e.g. firewalls, NAC, IPSEC VPN, GRE, Cisco Secure Access Control System, etc.) in an e‑commerce and cloud networking environments.
- 4+ years with Cloud migration strategies and implementation to AWS is desirable.
- 4+ years Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) protocol experience is desirable. Experience with VoIP and G.711 transport is a huge plus.
- High interest in and familiarity with new and emerging Tier-1 and Tier-2 network products and technologies.
- Ability to create technical project deliverables such as project plans, status reports, Visio diagrams, and configuration files. Vendor Management skills and strong vendor relations in the data and voice networking space.
- Experience using Network Monitoring/Management platforms (e.g. Netbrain, Solarwinds, zabbix).
- Knowledge of Windows and UNIX platforms are a plus.
- Cisco Security certified is preferable. CCIE certifications are a strong plus.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills are required.
- BS/BA preferable.
About j2 Global
Founded in 1995, j2 Global® (NASDAQ:JCOM) is an award winning, leading provider of Internet services through its two divisions: Business Cloud Services and Digital Media.
The Business Cloud Services Division offers Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications and CRM solutions. It markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe® and Onebox® and operates a messaging network spanning 49 countries on six continents.
The Digital Media Division, created with j2 Cloud Services’ November 2012 acquisition of Ziff Davis, Inc.
Ziff Davis, Inc. is the leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men's lifestyle categories, reaching over 117 million unique visitors per month. Ziff Davis sites include Mashable.com, IGN.com, PCMag.com, AskMen.com, ComputerShopper.com, ExtremeTech.com, Geek.com, LogicBuy.com and Toolbox.com. Ziff Davis also operates NetShelter, the largest community of technology publishers dedicated to consumer electronics, computing and mobile communications. Ziff Davis B2B is a leading provider of online research to enterprise buyers and high-quality leads to IT vendors.
As of December 31, 2016, j2 Cloud Services had achieved 21 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth.
For more information about j2, please visit www.j2global.com
At j2 Global®, we work in a culture of collaboration and welcome those who desire to join our growing global community. We seek enthusiastic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit looking for an environment that rewards your best work.
J2 Global offers competitive salaries, health benefits, a 401k, and company-sponsored events. If you’re seeking a dynamic work environment where you can see the direct impact of your performance, then j2 is the place for you.
J2 Global® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.