Director of Enterprise and Investigative Reporting - Everyday Health
MedPage Today is looking for either a healthcare journalist or a healthcare-interested journalist with a strong appreciation for enterprise and investigative work who can contribute enterprise stories to the site, while also helping guide the growth of MedPage’s investigative, watchdog work.
The Director of Enterprise and Investigative Reporting will have a hand in all aspects of writing, identifying, pursuing, promoting and following up on work that uncovers new information, holds truth to power, exposes fraud, or explains how complex issues work.
What that means at MedPage is different than at many outlets. We know our readers -- the physicians, nurses, physician assistants and other medical professionals around the U.S. and, to some degree, the world. They’re sophisticated and skeptical. They care deeply about their craft. They want MedPage Today to keep an eye on the regulators just as much as the ne’er-do-wells. They want us to be willing to ask hard questions and report on what we learn in a balanced and nuanced way.
At MedPage, our track record is strong. Over the past two years, our work has resulted in federal indictments, exposed pharma’s willingness to push questionable science in the name of profit, and identified hundreds of doctors operating with clean licenses despite serious sanctions. We’ve received top honors from the Association of Healthcare Journalists and Investigative Reporters and Editors, and the Barlett and Steele award for business journalism.
- This position will be responsible for enterprise reporting efforts in the NYC area and also for helping instill the ethos of shoe-leather reporting in our New York-based journalists.
- He or she will also corral and grow our stable of freelance investigative reporters and work closely with our social media manager to make sure this work is getting noticed.
- While the exact work may fluctuate, ultimately you have one goal: Maintain and grow an engaged audience of medical professionals through enterprise, investigative/watchdog stories. You will have significant freedom, and a budget, to pursue that goal as you see fit.
- 5 years of experience as a journalist, preferably with a focus on science or health
- A portfolio of past work reflecting enterprise reporting
- Candidates with a love of gifs and alliteration and who possess an innate ability to write Gawker-style headlines will be preferentially considered.
About j2 Global
Founded in 1995, j2 Global® (NASDAQ:JCOM) is an award winning, leading provider of Internet services through its two divisions: Business Cloud Services and Digital Media.
The Business Cloud Services Division offers Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications and CRM solutions. It markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe® and Onebox® and operates a messaging network spanning 49 countries on six continents.
The Digital Media Division, created with j2 Cloud Services’ November 2012 acquisition of Ziff Davis, Inc.
Ziff Davis, Inc. is the leading digital media company specializing in the technology, gaming and men's lifestyle categories, reaching over 117 million unique visitors per month. Ziff Davis sites include Mashable.com, IGN.com, PCMag.com, AskMen.com, ComputerShopper.com, ExtremeTech.com, Geek.com, LogicBuy.com and Toolbox.com. Ziff Davis also operates NetShelter, the largest community of technology publishers dedicated to consumer electronics, computing and mobile communications. Ziff Davis B2B is a leading provider of online research to enterprise buyers and high-quality leads to IT vendors.
As of December 31, 2016, j2 Cloud Services had achieved 21 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth.
For more information about j2, please visit www.j2global.com
At j2 Global®, we work in a culture of collaboration and welcome those who desire to join our growing global community. We seek enthusiastic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit looking for an environment that rewards your best work.
J2 Global offers competitive salaries, health benefits, a 401k, and company-sponsored events. If you’re seeking a dynamic work environment where you can see the direct impact of your performance, then j2 is the place for you.
J2 Global® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.