Global Director of Marketing
Job Title:Global Director of Marketing
Job Location:Hendersonville, TN
Job Review Date:October 2019
ITW Dynatec, a division of Illinois Tool Works, designs and manufactures a full range of industrial adhesive applications for the disposable hygiene products, automotive, and packaging industries worldwide. ITW Dynatec’s systems are used globally in the manufacturing of diapers and a wide range of other consumer and industrial products. The company’s state-of-the-art technology is backed by a worldwide network of industry-leading customer service and support. Our vision is to put hot melt adhesive exactly where our customers want it each time, every time, better than anyone else in the world.
As a key member of the leadership team, the Global Director of Marketing leads & drives the development and execution of the company’s market segment plans & strategic activities to meet the organization objectives and deliver financial goals. This position is responsible for a deep and thorough understanding of end user needs and market trends in our end market segments that includes identification and assessment of significant opportunities, developing, directing & implementing strategies that deliver profitable market share growth. These plans will ultimately be the roadmap as to how we go to market. As a result, the market segment strategic plans will be communicated and aligned with our sales and engineering functional teams.
- Lead and direct the development of Annual and Long-Range Plans for all market segments. Considers the long-term implication of segment strategies through analysis of present & future penetration rates, market share, end user requirements, price and margins. Leverage this knowledge to ensure that all the functions of the business which relate to the segments are coordinated.
- Directs the development and implementation of product strategies from ideation and concept to end of life management.
- Direct the development and implementation of growth levers strategies and roadmaps so the organization can capitalize on market opportunities within the segments. This includes, but is not limited to, developing end user-oriented product strategies and working with the Engineering team. Accountable to ensure these plans are communicated and understood throughout the organization
- Oversee the analysis of the results of end market segment/ growth lever plan activities to determine priorities for long and short-term go to market strategies.
- Deliver financial commitments for new products/programs by ensuring development and execution of robust commercialization plans.
- Contribute to the Front-To-Back 80/20 process to help develop a vision and support implementation of strategic plans.
- Direct and promote a user-centric culture for the Dynatec team in order to generate actionable information regarding segment needs and wants. Uses this information to drive market segmentation and the development of product and demand generation strategies.
New Product Development
- Lead and promote a culture of innovation. Use marketing research tools, techniques and NPD stage gate processes to drive technology breakthroughs, implement new product development plans and ensure that plans are delivered on time & within budget.
- Develops business cases for new target markets, products, services or customers.
- Direct the Portfolio Manager to ensure market scanning aimed at uncovering market trends and assessing competitive strategies and activities are well researched, data is compiled and synthesized to aid in developing strategic plans focused on our growth segments.
- Apply the ITW Principles (80/20, Product Line Simplification, Segmentation, In-lining, and Market Rate of Demand) to eliminate complexity and improve the profitability of the company.
- Drive the Voice Of Customer process to ensure clear understanding of the customer pain points (discovery interviews and preference interviews).
- Product launch initiatives – Capture the value in the market through robust value propositions and focused product, price, channel and promotional strategies for 80 end-market segments.
- Work with sales and engineering teams to capitalize on all opportunities for profitable growth within the channel, while driving New Product Development
Leadership and Development
- As a member of the Divisional Leadership Team, identify, lead and develop talent to maximize individual, team and organizational effectiveness.
- Coaches through feedback, development planning and performance management.
- Analyze existing structure within Marketing and propose a new structure. Identify talent gaps and bring in new talent where appropriate. Determine changes in people and skills and implement in a timely manner (i.e. Hiring of Portfolio Manager).
- Design and build-out the Marketing team based on the ITW Leadership Model, ensuring capabilities for current needs and potential for strengthening the ITW pipeline.
- Ability to work across the different functions within the division to influence and drive new product and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, marketing or comparable discipline; MBA strongly preferred
- 10+ years of progressive business experience including 3-5 years of product management and/or development experience. Experience executing in a line discipline (sales, operations or engineering) preferred.
- Marketing experience is required within Manufacturing/Industrial Sector
- Experience obtaining & translating end user requirements into successful products and/or services required
- Strong analytical & forecasting skills including price management & market analysis
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience motivating, coaching & developing a team.
Establishing Strategic Direction - Establishing and committing to a long-range course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after analyzing factual information and assumptions; taking into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
Operational Decision Making - Relating and comparing; securing relevant information and identifying key issues; committing to an action after developing alternative courses of action that take into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing economic, financial, and industry data to accurately diagnose business strengths and weaknesses, identifying key issues, and developing strategies and plans.
Driving Execution - Translating strategy into operational reality. Breaking down strategies or business initiatives into key tasks and identifying accountabilities. Aligning communication, people, culture, processes, resources and systems to ensure effective implementation and delivery of required results.
Developing Strategic Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence and build effective relationships with business partners (e.g., peers, functional partners, external vendors, and alliance partners).
Communicating with Impact - Expressing thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a clear, succinct, and compelling manner in both individual and group situations; adjusting language to capture the attention of the audience.
Driving for Results - Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goal attainment; tenaciously working to meet or exceed those goals while deriving satisfaction from the process of goal
Coaching/Training - Providing timely coaching, guidance, and feedback to help develop Marketing team and cross-functional team to excel on the job and meet key accountabilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, within typical office working conditions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne particles, climate variances and moving mechanical equipment typically found in a manufacturing environment. The noise level in the work environment (office) is usually low, but much higher when exposed to the manufacturing areas. Certain personal protective equipment is required when in the manufacturing areas. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk, hear, reach with hands and arms and regularly required to walk. Employee must be able to endure frequent bending, kneeling, standing and walking on hard surfaces such as concrete. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able to lift product materials that weigh from 1 pound to 20 pounds on a consistent basis.
Position requires approximate 30% travel.
The Global Marketing Director reports to the Vice President/General Manager.