Controls & Electrical Engineering Manager
Controls & Electrical Engineering Manager
As a key member of the engineering leadership team, the Controls & Electrical Engineering Manager reports directly to the Product Controls & Electrical Manager and is responsible for managing a cross-functional Controls & Electrical Engineering team tasked with Designing, Programming, Commissioning, and Startup of Programmable Logic Control (PLC) Based automation systems and machine centers. A typical system includes an AB Logix PLC, Human Machine Interface (HMI), and may include servo control or FANUC robots. The person in this role will manage a team that will specify control requirements and sequence of operations. The selected candidate will work with the members of the controls and electrical engineering leadership team to build a cross functional organization that maximizes productivity through cross-training, continuous improvement, and ongoing talent-development.
This position will be based at our headquarters in Greenville, South Carolina.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage a controls and electrical engineering team within the ITW Hartness Engineering Organization.
- Collaborate with the other engineering managers to determine and support ITW Hartness business priorities.
- Perform a variety of management and supervisory functions; hire, train, assign, supervise, and evaluate personnel.
- Maintain and develop skillsets through on-going performance conversations as well as the annual Goal Setting and Performance Review process.
- Provide technical oversight to ensure timely execution of projects, and department initiatives.
- Develop a cross functional controls and electrical engineering team with the ability to meet the business growth targets and support our target-markets.
- Manage, develop, and create programs for packaging material handling devices (drop packers, shrink wrappers, accumulation systems, robots, conveyors, pallet dispensers, collating stations, etc.)
- Manage the development and creation of programs for machine control and to integrate multiple material handling devices to create an integrated production system.
- Provide guidance in the specification and maintenance of I/O lists used to coordinate electrical design with program design.
- Ensure proper management and application of Electrical Schematics after initial system assembly is complete.
- Oversee and provide technical guidance during Testing, Debugging, Modifying, and Validating all system functions prior to shipment.
- Ensure proper completion of Start-up and Commissioning of systems at customer site for final customer approval.
- Manage training of ITW Hartness and customer technicians on the operation and program maintenance of the delivered system.
- Lead and Champion 80/20, USa, MRD, In-Lining and continuous improvement initiatives that achieve results aligned with company goals.
- Lead and develop talent to maximize individual, team and organizational effectiveness. Foster a culture of engagement and accountability, cascading vision, and goal alignment.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Engineering – Mechanical/Electrical or Mechatronics, or 10+ years of related experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 10 years of related progressive experience in engineering, with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role.
- Minimum 10 years of experience designing and/or programing Controls & Electrical equipment.
- 5+ years’ experience in programming, installation, startup, and debug of integrated production systems.
- Strong change management, analytical, problem solving, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the common domestic and international design regulatory standards, including UL, CE, CUL, NEC, ISO, etc. as they apply to the packaging industry.
- Demonstrated proficiency with machine safety systems, including the components and circuit design to meet industry and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated proficiency with major safety regulatory standards, including NFPA, RIA, OSHA, etc. as they apply to the packaging industry.
- PLC and HMI programming experience within Rockwell and Siemens platforms.
- Proficient in reading, interpreting and editing electrical/pneumatic schematics and diagrams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills with experience in communicating and working with remote teams.
- Ability to work within a team environment to meet organization goals and accomplish tasks.
- Proficient with common Microsoft office suite programs; such as, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Position requires up to 35% travel; must be able to obtain a passport. The majority of travel is in the U.S. but some international travel may be required.
- S. or M.S. in Electrical Engineering.
- Experience in Packaging machine engineering.
- Experience in the food, beverage, and/or personal & home care markets.
- Experience with FANUC Robotics or other industrial robots in packaging applications a plus.
- Familiarity with common PC languages (Visual Basic, C++, Java, HTML) a plus
ITW Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, ITW Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process.
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and a 100% tuition reimbursement program for those who qualify.
Since ITW’s founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. ITW has 81 businesses divided into 7 Segments, which includes: Welding, Automotive OEM, Food Equipment Group, Construction Products, Polymers & Fluids, Test and Measurement & Electronics, and Specialty.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.