Hi-Cone, a division of ITW, is a leading supplier of plastic-based multi-packaging systems for global beer, soft drink and general products industries. We are advocates of packaging alternatives that generate sustained margin contributions for our customers and major retailers. Our customers demand maximum quality, exceptional value, market performances and innovation. We meet those demands by offering cost-effective minimal packaging responsive to environmental concerns.
The main responsibility of this position will be to solve manufacturing process constraints, determine and implement capital improvements to increase production, safety, and quality, and drive continuous improvement in the areas of productivity, operating efficiency, waste reduction, and cost reduction. This is a hands on role that will specify manufacturing equipment and support the manufacturing processes of Hi-Cone material in two plants domestically and multiple international facilities. Major processes include plastic sheet extrusion, plastic sheet stamping, and labeling.
- Support existing production systems through troubleshooting, root cause analysis, developing strategies to reduce mechanical downtime, and drafting and implementing preventive maintenance practices.
- Use effective change management skills to effectively to plan, implement and evaluate changes to improve production efficiency
- Keep abreast of technology trends, investigate, and install most effective methods of manufacturing to keep company competitive.
- Develop, test, and implement process adjustments and/or new manufacturing techniques to reduce manufacturing costs and waste, and to improve product quality, manufacturing efficiency, and machine reliability.
- Other responsibilities include analyzing production data to identify opportunities for improvement, creating and updating standard operating procedures and training key production employees on new equipment and procedures, and implementing and sharing manufacturing best practices both internally and externally.
- CAD work to include designing simple to moderately complex fixtures and guarding for production equipment, as well as designing layout of equipment, materials, and workspace to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Partner with other engineers and Operations Management to develop and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Develop and recommend capital projects required to move company forward with innovative solutions driving more efficient and less costly manufacturing methods. These will be based on performing economic analysis of projects, tying investment to key business drivers which generate value (low operating costs, flexibility, importance of reacting to outside business influences).
- May also include managing the execution of capital projects, including developing project scope, developing machinery specifications, coordinating outside resources, scheduling to minimize interruptions to operations, and delivering on time and on budget.
- Responsible for entering new part information into system, as well as maintaining and updating part information and standards on a regular basis.
- Perform other tasks and functions as directed for the benefit of the business.
- Work with vendors and product development on design of new packaging
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering or a related field with relevant experience
- Minimum 3 years of Engineering experience in a production environment preferred, 5+ years preferred, preferably also with experience in plastic extrusion.
- Required travel up to 25%
- Experience with manufacturing methods and equipment, preferably including machining tools and practices, electrical controls and programming, and plastics processing.
- Experience managing and executing for major capital projects
- Ability to work with hands and to work in mechanically oriented situations
- Understanding of process improvement tools including but not limited to:
- Product Line Simplification
- 80/20 analysis
- Time/motion studies
- Operational performance tracking & metrics reporting
- High level of written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability, including the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Able to work in a team oriented environment, collaborating with multiple departments
- Well organized, detailed oriented, and able to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-starter with a lot of energy to see projects through to completion and takes accountability for all aspects of managed projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D CAD, preferably Solidworks and/or AutoCAD
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.