Job Title: R&D Chemist
Reports To: Director of R&D
This position entails all aspects of product development and support, including innovation and new product conception/feasibility and formulation preparation, as well as problem troubleshooting and the implementation of differentiating product improvements to our current product line.
- Provide support to development and testing of innovative products
- Coordinate, monitor, and perform (as needed) field testing of new systems
- Utilize both new and existing products to develop solutions for various market applications
- Conduct competitive product evaluations and benchmarking of relevant products
- Perform qualitative tests such as adhesion, chemical resistance, etc., and clearly report results and observations
- Evaluate new and existing specialty chemicals and polymers for suitability in development projects
- Assist in redesign of existing products to meet customer requirements
- Assist with scale-up of new prototype products including all monitoring and evaluation of field testing prior to final approval and production
- Develops mutually beneficial, respectful, and effective relationships with peers to ensure seamless coordination between departments, maximize synergy, and maintain a shared vision, strategy, and focus
- Maintain a high level of awareness of current product and market trends to support product line growth and innovation
- Ensure safety by both identifying potential hazards and observing all safety requirements
- Travel up to 10%
- BS degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or applicable field.
- 2-4 years relevant work experience.
- Experience with core silicone, acrylic, and aqueous Chemistries and performance properties.
- Minimum of 1 year of hands-on R&D product development.
- Must have new product launch experience, including intimate familiarity with innovation funnel and/or stage gate product development process.
- Design, testing, and validation process expertise.
- Must have a passion for growth and obtaining new knowledge vital to key business functions.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Proven portfolio management and project/process management experience.
- Business acumen and excellent presentation skills (to customers, vendors, senior internal staff).
- Experience in the Automotive industry.
- Must have a solid strategic view that positions the business to win in markets
- Results orientation—understands the importance of delivering tangible results and embraces accountability
- Can effectively apply an “outside-in” approach to solutions and opportunities, seeing through the eyes of the consumer and customer
- Anticipates and manages complex situations
- Understands 80/20 methodology and can drive strong financial results and growth targets
- Personal composure under pressure
- Balances data, logic and intuition in decision-making
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. This job description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this position. Incumbents are required to perform other related functions as assigned.