ITW Professional Automotive Products specializes in the manufacture of automotive maintenance products including fluids (treatments and additives, cleaners, functional fluids along with the equipment required to perform the services) and wiper blades. Major business segments include New Car Dealers, Tire, Muffler and Brake and Quick Lube facilities. Each channel can be serviced with differentiated chemical products and brands. This position is located in Lakeland, FL.
The Group Operations Manager will oversee the overall manufacturing process in the plant to ensure optimized operations. Responsible for planning, reviewing and coordinating all manufacturing activities. Directly manages supervisors and indirect staff and ensures timely delivery of products, meeting customers’ requirements in quantities that sales demand. Ensure lowest cost while retaining profitability and growth consistent with the ITW corporate objectives. This role defines and delivers plans to improve all aspects of plant performance in-line with individual and corporate objectives. Must have a commitment to an operational excellence culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all activities within the plant, which include daily activities and dotted-line functional task related to Supply Chain, Distribution, R&D, Quality and Administrative Services.
- Directly manages the positions of Production and Maintenance Manager.
- Assists in the development and implementation of annual and long-range business plans and create cost models to assist in generating acceptable operational margins and return on investment at the plant level. Initiates and recommends related capital expenditures for both annual and long-range plans.
- Evaluate, initiate, recommend and implement process improvements in order to increase Blending, Maintenance, and Manufacturing efficiencies/effectiveness
- Ensures that the production team prepares and implements a manufacturing plan which supports the Company’s short term and long-term goals. Plan will include specific capital (building, machine, etc.), staffing, training, systems, material, and quality systems.
- Responsible for operations, maintaining an acceptable COGS/operating margins.
- Responsible for ensuring that the operation is in compliance with Health, Safety, and Environmental regulations, local Employment Laws, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Laws, and that the activities throughout the Company are conducted in a legal and ethical fashion. Participates in safety activities.
- Responsible for ensuring that operating standards, systems and procedures are in place to control product quality and to maintain levels of supply chain security to meet customer requirements and in order to meet external standards such as ISO, OSHA, EPA etc. as deemed appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring that the accuracy of financial transactions carried out within the operation enables effective inventory management and supports corporate financial reporting requirements on an ongoing basis.
- Understands and implements the entire ITW Toolbox on operations, products and inventory as well as administrative processes. Effectively creates 80/20, MRD, and other Toolbox projects.
- Monitors the performance of all employees and provides leadership to encourage excellence, teamwork, and employee development. Communicates regularly with all teams to nurture morale and improve Company performance. Provides leadership to foster a dynamic and harmonious work environment and fosters a motivated and competent work force. Provides direction to resolve issues between departments.
- Assists in developing systems and policies which are in place to support hiring, training and development, discipline, timely performance management, safety, and termination. Ensures that all operations associates understand and follow company policies and goals.
- Coaches through feedback, development planning and performance management. Provides training to new and existing staff and support them in their career goals.
- Uses effective change management skills to effectively plan, implement and evaluate change.
- Responsible for supporting business growth activities by working closely with commercial and innovation functions to ensure that new products are introduced efficiently and positively. May travel to customer sites as necessary.
- Provides exceptional customer service without creating excess costs as measured by conversion costs, labor costs, equipment utilization rates, inventory MOH levels, on time delivery, or other KPIs as determined by the business. Assists in developing plans and implements manufacturing strategies and processes to support these goals. Manages and controls inventory through product line changes and market growth. Reduces and controls scrap rates to improve productivity. Minimizes period costs within budget.
- Collaborates with all Senior Leaders to standardize manufacturing processes, metrics, training, quality standards, data collection, changeover processes, etc.
- Actively shares and seeks best practices with peers to accelerate process improvement and improve process capability.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, operations, engineering, or related degree preferred (or related 6-8 years’ experience); with minimum 5 years of related progressive management experience.
- Proven experience as director or operations manager in a manufacturing environment
- Hands-on process manufacturing experience (ideally in plastics, flexible packaging, and printing), production and inventory control, ERP systems, knowledge and understanding of good purchasing practices, sound engineering practices, and material handling/warehousing, facilities, and shipping functions is preferred.
- Must have knowledge of environmental and OSHA requirements, QA and QC quality systems.
- Demonstrated history of year-over-year continuous improvement projects with sustainable and measurable results
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Ability to simplify & standardize high impact processes and prioritize
- Strong talent assessment and development with history of talent promotion. Experience in developing & implementing organizational structures a plus
- Demonstrated ability to produce results within a team environment, to develop productive working relationships at all levels of the organization and to appropriately challenge or influence decisions.
- Ability to leverage knowledge and insights of talent to influence decision makers
- Strong ITW Toolbox knowledge and implementation is a plus. Experience with MRD/inlining/USa or similar processes.
- Self-motivated change agent able to lead in a “independent” lean work environment
- Travel up to 10% domestically
- PLC/Electronics/Automation certification, preferred
- Industrial Mechanic Associate Degree or equivalent combination of education
This job description should not be construed to include every function or responsibility that may arise. Successful candidates will perform tasks as assigned or as deemed necessary in the course of day to day operations.
Working environment involves temperature extremes