Technical Product Engineer
POSITION: Tech. Product Engineer REPORTS TO: R&D Tech Services Manager
Identify and recommend ITW Polymers Adhesives North America’s (PADNA) products or product modifications for existing and potential customers. Determine and provide a Professional level of Technical Service to customers and prospects.
Provide technical support to internal and external customers:
- Assist in the sales process by evaluating applications and materials, recommend products and conduct customer visits to observe and develop application techniques, audits and presentations.
- Provide field sales with technical data, test results, graphs, and reports.
- Work with field sales & marketing and other ITW groups to generate and analyze market data to identify new products for ITW growth initiatives in PADNA’s growth segments.
- Test competitive products against ITW portfolio products for specific customer projects or problems and historical data.
- Participate in the commercialization of new product launches coordinating technical data with other essential departments.
- Develop “Marketing Tools”, (charts, data, spreadsheets, for product’s physical properties, nozzle guides) needed by field sales for all product groups.
- Be proactive in developing and visiting the appropriate contacts with the Engineering, Materials, or Quality departments of key customers and material manufacturers. Establish and support appropriate adhesive specifications for major customers.
- Ability to receive incoming calls from potential or existing customers to make product recommendations or trouble shoot application issues.
- Work independently or in multi-functional teams to develop new business opportunities, advise on new potential products or the modification of existing ones.
- Coordinate strategic planning with Sales Managers and Technical Product Managers to approach new applications and develop essential long term relationships with key customers.
- Ability to travel occasionally to help support lab work presented at customer, trade shows, customer audits, customer presentations and on lining as well as emergency customer support.
- Responsible for various aspects of project management. Coordinate new projects and new product development activities with Technical Product Managers, field sales, R&D and Marketing.
- Help identify Industry trends, use ITW tools to continually optimize the department, and help identify new business development trends.
- Maintain an electronic database to record Technical Service data and aid in protecting the company from undue liability.
- Assist in training/direction of new product training modules,training personnel and distributor reps.
- Promote, support and adhere to all safety, environmental and quality related policies and procedures.
EDUCATION: BS or higher degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry.
EXPERIENCE: 2 plus years experience or equivocal.
SKILLS: Strong computer, organizational, and destructive and mechanical testing skills. Fluent with Word, Excel, Act, Access. JD Edwards experience a plus.
COMPETENCIES: Analysis of bulk material properties.
TRAVEL: up to 20% and hold a valid passport.
PHYSICAL: Ability to lift up to 50 pounds for equipment part handling, customers substrates and to work in tight places on occasion.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong mechanical and diagnostic ability.
Employee Signature Date