Founded in 1912, Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified, Fortune 500 manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. Ranked among Fortune Magazine’s most admired companies, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. ITW’s revenues total $14.8 billion in 2018.
This position is within ITW’s Zip-Pak division. Zip-Pak is the global leader in resealable solutions for the flexible packaging industry. Our expertise in zipper, application technology, and packaging systems makes Zip-Pak the primary choice of brand owners, OEM’s, and converters for innovative resealable solutions. Zip-Pak’s lean, modern, and continuous manufacturing environments produce zippers using high-volume plastic extrusion. Manufacturing sites are in the United States, Europe, and South America.
The Quality Manager is a key member of the site Leadership Team reporting to the Site Operations Manager. The Quality Manager is responsible for overseeing zipper manufacturing quality control effort, SQF and HACCP Product Safety programs, and developing a Quality vision and strategy for promoting a zero-defect culture across the organization. He or she will be driving continuous improvement to the quality management system and ensuring SQF standards are being met at the facility. The Quality Manager will drive to provide root cause analysis on product defects. He or she, along with the Zip-Pak team members will work closely with engineering, production and purchasing to resolve product quality issues. The Quality Manager will directly supervise one QA Technician.
- Drive to execute and complete root cause and corrective actions for customer complaints
- Develop and manage overall supplier quality program driving best practices throughout the supply base; work with team and suppliers to ensure root cause analysis is performed and corrective action plans are completed
- Review and study existing equipment, systems and processes to improve efficiency, increase quality and reduce costs
- Responsible for all customer inquiries related to product safety, regulatory issues and product-related technical questions
- Lead SQF program in the facility and drive continuous improvement of quality systems to ensure compliance and improve efficiency
- Manage the company’s corrective/preventative action and customer complaint system ensuring that failures are thoroughly resolved and communicated timely and effectively to the customer
- Works with production team to identify improvements in manufacturing processes specific to error proofing and quality assurance
- Partners with Engineering team members in troubleshooting product design and performance issues
- Partners with Sales and Marketing to determine exposure / impact of quality problems as well as potential improvements.
- Demonstrates computer skills required for the position – spreadsheet and database software and basic abilities to read and manipulate drawings
- Applies 80/20 principals to daily operation
- Maintain calibration of all quality control equipment and measurement devices
- Adhere to all responsibilities outlined in the Food Safety Management System which is in accordance to the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing of Food Packaging (code 8.0)
- Assist in providing training of team members in food safety, food defense, safety and other associated programs as identified by management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Engineering, Quality, or related field
- MBA a plus
- Professional Quality Certifications by ASQ (American Society for Quality) including Certified Quality Engineer, Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence, Six Sigma Black Belt or Lean Six Sigma a plus
Knowledge & Experience
- 8+ years progressive experience in a factory manufacturing environment utilizing Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and/or Total Quality Management principles
- 3+ years supervisory and/or leadership experience
- 5+ years QA/QC experience as a Quality Manager and/or Senior Quality Engineer including implementing and managing Quality Management Systems
- Proven technical leadership with Continuous Improvement systems including the ability to utilize structured problem-solving methods to deliver breakthrough business results
- Technical understanding of industrial engineered products with the ability to communicate technically to customers, suppliers, and co-workers
- Personal attributes including strong leadership presence, high-energy, detail oriented, data analysis, and data driven decision making
- Demonstrated proficiency with data analytics within Microsoft Excel, ERP Systems, and Microsoft Office
- Proven experience working with sophisticated business systems and processes including ITW 80/20, Toyota Production System, Danaher, etc. preferred
- Plastics extrusion high-volume continuous manufacturing that includes working with extruder equipment, coilers/winders, dies, and profile forming preferred
- Future career potential for higher levels of leadership within Operations preferred
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, life, LTD insurance, 401k (with company match), employee assistance, wellness and 100% tuition reimbursement programs. ITW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.