Field Service Techncian
Zip-Pak is the global leader in resealable solutions for the flexible packaging industry. We operate in more than 52 countries around the world with a workforce of more than 270 dedicated flexible packaging professionals. These talented individuals adhere to the highest professional standards and focus their efforts to meeting and exceeding the needs of every Zip-Pak client. Combining this commitment to client success with our technical innovation and unmatched network of resources enables us to confidently and consistently deliver “uniquely flexible" solutions to our customers.
Provide consultation, technical assistance and troubleshooting to both external customers and internal facilities for start-ups (all products) and quality complaints. Work with OEM and Zip-Pak to satisfy customer needs and optimize the way Zip-Pak zipper operates on the equipment. Develop professional relationship with both OEM and Zip-Pak customers for the purpose of gathering market information. Conduct maintenance calls on assigned Quad One customers and participate in the Customer Partnership Plan.
- Assist customers, OEM and Zip-Pak Plants in start-ups of existing zipper. The Goal being to optimize the efficiency of Zip-Pak zipper on our own and OEM equipment.
- Evaluate zipper and OEM equipment to determine functionality and determine customer fitness for use. Diagnose packages for problems and find solutions. Solve quality complaints either over the phone or in person.
- Assist Sales in fulfillment process by gaining, nurturing and maintaining relationships with customers and OEM. Relay competitive information to Sales team, Plants and the EIC.
- Gather competitive data, analyze opportunities and communicate potential threats.
- Assist Engineers in new product start-ups.
- Identify issues with materials; work with customer’s production/engineering on problem resolution. Work closely with QA leaders on identifying causes of complaints; work on resolution with production by importing knowledge of process to the field.
- Keep customers happy by responding quickly, make customers feel confidant regardless of scope of issue.
- Have knowledge of transportation system, ability to make travel plans independently, react to changes in schedule, and keep accurate records of expenses and submit in a timely manner into the company system. Know how to travel efficiently and cost effectively.
- Attend trade shows when needed, provide assistance to sales and interact with OEM’s
- Provide Supervisor with schedule and trip reports.
- Work directly with OEM technical staff and maintain relationship with all field reps
- Conduct maintenance calls on Quad One customers.
- Learn and implement the 80/20 philosophy.
- Assist in testing of equipment being built
- Assist with customer “Factory Acceptance Tests “both in plant and at customer locations
- Testing of new zipper and materials compatibility.
- Install, repair and troubleshoot our own equipment both in Customer Plants, OEM’s and inhouse.
- Contribute, Create and Document new ideas to expand IP as it pertains to our industry
Qualifications and Requirements
- Candidate should be based out of the Chicagoland area
- Customer oriented with web processing or packaging equipment background
- Good mechanical, electrical and engineering skills with packaging equipment focus.
- Good written and oral communications skills, ability to work with all types of people. The ability to bring a project to close with success.
- Good system integration troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Significant travel commitment visiting customers, 75%-90% travel
- Self-starter with a home office that has the initiative and ability to work with minimal direction under stressful customer intensive startup conditions.
- Generally high computer skills. Comfortable using MS Office package.
- Enjoys people, problem solving and working with a group of dedicated colleagues. Must enjoy sharing technical information with manufacturing.
- Excellent mechanical, electrical skills, pneumatic, PLC and servo-control skills
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical and pneumatic drawings and PLC programs
- Ability to approach every situation in a positive manner to solve and eliminate issues, not just as a reporting mechanism
- Ability to think “outside of the box” for solutions