Research Engineer, Mechanical Engineering
Since its founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. We place a high premium on the development of innovative solutions–most of which are developed in tandem with our customers. In addition, we continue to ensure that our customers receive timely, cost-effective service for the innovative products we provide.
ITW’s differentiated business model is comprised of a set of unique core capabilities: our proprietary 80/20 business process, customer-focused innovation, and our well-known decentralized entrepreneurial culture. While we own many global businesses, these capabilities are unmistakably ITW—and key to our longevity and strong performance
ITW’s products and solutions are at work all over the world, in deep-sea oil rigs, aerospace technology, bridges and wind turbines, healthcare, the spaces in which we live and work, the cars we drive, and the mobile devices we rely on. We are never, whether we know it or not, more than a few steps from an innovative ITW solution.
Today, ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 500 company that employs nearly 48,000 people, and is headquartered in Glenview, Illinois, USA with operations in 57 countries.
The Research Engineer will report to the Technology Research Manager within the ITW Innovation Center. This position will be responsible for producing intelligence reports on emerging technologies that are of strategic importance to ITW. The position will be a combination strategic research, and tactical analysis, interpretation, and reporting to senior management.
- Subject matter expert with extensive experience in Mechanical Engineering and Material Science with technical breadth to conduct FEA and CFD simulation investigations
- Ability to evaluate technologies in their subject area
- Ability to articulate to a broad range of constituents via written and verbal communication
- Scope/define project and manage 3rd party research resources with deep technical knowledge
- Ability to demonstrate proof of principal
- Support technology evaluation in knowledge areas for acquisition support, technology landscaping
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering required with exposure to Material Science.
- Minimum 3 years post-doctorate industry experience in practical engineering discipline
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAITS:
- Broad technical knowledge of Mechanical Design, FEA, CFD, and materials
- Knowledgeable of new and emerging research/technology in their subject area
- Proven track record of technical leadership in a technology-based corporation preferred
- Intellectually curious with a driving interest in new technology
- Technical Acumen
- Analytical Skills
- Decision Making
- Creative Thinking/Innovation
- Consulting/consultative Approach
- Reduces Complexity
Illinois Tool Works Inc. (“ITW” or “the Company”) is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.