As part of ITW’s Automotive Segment, ITW Powertrain Plastics NA is committed to being a world leader in insert molded filters, Our locations are headquartered in Glenview, IL with manufacturing in Hebron, IL; Lake Geneva, WI; Juarez, MX; Aguascalientes, MX; Bryan, OH; and Kendallville, IN.
Position Summary: This is a design and engineering role with an emphasis on black box design. Our team uses engineering tools such as FEA, CFD and concept testing to solve customer problems through design and manufacturing of automotive plastic components and assemblies. The ideal candidate will excel in a creative environment and will drive our product ideas from problem identification through concept validation. The role will also include innovation. Customer meetings with engineers to discuss applications, pain point interviewing and production line walks will lead to creativity sessions with our other product experts and engineers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with project team to develop order specific mechanical design solutions.
- Create 3D part and assembly designs utilizing primarily Solidworks and/or PTC Creo.
- Develop and specify components conforming to engineering and purchasing standards.
- Use CAE tools (CFD and FEA) to develop and validate designs
- Contribute to group DFMEA sessions to ensure a robust design
- Create detailed drawings of components and assemblies for manufacturing.
- Support manufacturing and assembly of the components and systems.
- Assist and/or lead communications with automotive OEM on various levels of ITW design and development
- Coordinate communications with ITW supply base on key component design and development
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Engineering or Engineering Technology, with an emphasis in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Proficient in 3D modeling (Solidworks preferred, PTC Creo experience a plus)
- CAE experience (CFD and FEA are preferred)
- Knowledgeable in Plastic Injection Molding part design
- Injection mold tooling design helpful
- Working understanding of part design layout and GD&T
- Basic understanding of DFMEA methodology and approach
- Knowledge in DVP&R procedures and reports
- Effective oral, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Self-directed with creative problem-solving ability
- Must exhibit excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Able to explain technical designs and concepts to internal team, suppliers and customers
- Spanish language skills helpful
- Travel ~20%