International Tax Supervisor (#3386)
Since its founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. We place a high premium on the development of innovative solutions–most of which are developed in tandem with our customers. And we continue to ensure that our customers receive timely, cost-effective service for the innovative products we provide.
ITW’s differentiated business model is comprised of a set of unique core capabilities: our proprietary 80/20 business process, customer-focused innovation, and our well-known decentralized entrepreneurial culture. While we own many global businesses, these capabilities are unmistakably ITW—and key to our longevity and strong performance
ITW’s products and solutions are at work all over the world, in deep-sea oil rigs, aerospace technology, bridges and wind turbines, healthcare, the spaces in which we live and work, the cars we drive, and the mobile devices we rely on. We are never, whether we know it or not, more than a few steps from an innovative ITW solution.
Today, ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 200 company that employs approximately 47,000 people, and is headquartered in Glenview, Illinois, USA with operations in 57 countries. Our campus is located within a short walking distance to the Metra Milwaukee District Line - at Golf station. Our headquarters also features “Dress for your Day” business casual attire, a full-service fitness center with personal trainers, and a full-service cafeteria, outdoor eating areas, volleyball and basketball courts, and 1-mile walking path around the campus. In addition to a generous and full suite of employee benefits for health, wellness, financial, time-off, flexibility, and other needs.
Reporting to the Director of International Tax, the Supervisor, International Tax serves to help deliver strategic tax planning within ITW. He or she bears responsibility for assisting with coordination on a project basis, certain aspects of the tax planning function carried out on the Company’s behalf, including the following:
- Work with business operations to support business restructurings. This includes the following:
- Build relationships with key decision makers within the business
- Assist with formulation the restructuring plans with the business operations group
- Research tax technical issues related to the restructuring plans
- Model out the tax impact of the restructuring
- Manage/review the valuation work related to the restructurings
- Manage the review/approval of the restructuring plan
- Manage/support the implementation of the restructurings
- Manage the process to document the restructuring
- Assist with coordination within ITW as needed on such plans, including Treasury, Finance, and other tax functions, and complete the related tax return disclosures.
- Assist with identification, development, and implementation of strategic tax planning for ITW. This includes the following:
- Assist to formulate plans on the strategic planning area
- Research technical issues
- Work with and manage consultants as needed
- Work with and manage internal ITW resources as needed
- Model out the impacts of the planning
- Discuss with other departments both in the US and internationally as to the potential impacts
- Manage the process to document the restructuring
- Manage the implementation of the planning
- Complete the related tax return disclosures.
- Collaborate with, and support as necessary, other team members on various operational and strategic planning projects
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Manage multiple operational and strategic tax projects as needed
- Support the IRS and local country tax audit process and assist in responding to issues, IDR requests, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree focus in accounting preferred
- MST/CPA and/or JD/LLM preferred
- 6+ years tax experience in Big 4 public accounting or multinational industry experience
- Strong technical knowledge of US federal and international income tax rules, as well as a solid understanding of the functioning of material foreign tax jurisdictions rules
- Strong tax research and analytical skills
- Experience in federal and international tax planning
- Experience in the preparation and review of U.S. international tax compliance including Forms 5471, 8858, 1118, and related disclosures
- US GAAP proficiency, particularly with ASC 740 (FAS 109) and international-related provisions
- Experience in Corptax preferred
- Experience in tax automation projects and strong data analytic skills are preferred
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize and multitask routinely
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization in a clear and professional manner
- Ability to lead interns, staff and seniors on planning projects and tax compliance implementation
- Understanding of valuations and effective utilization of these in the planning process
- General computer and software technology skills
Competencies and Leadership
- Communicates with impact with all stakeholders – articulates a clear point of view and listens and responds to feedback.
- Acts as a champion of diversity, creating an environment that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Builds organization processes and systems that work to deliver results and to make change happen. Sets high standards for performance for self and group.
- Builds and leverages relationships and networks across ITW and externally.
- Develops interns and staff.
- Shares talent across the organization for the betterment of ITW.
- Engenders and builds trust and approachability within and across groups.
- Operates in an honest, ethical manner in all dealings; acts with integrity.
- Displays composure and appropriate decorum in pressure situations.