Responsible for understanding business sourcing needs and identifying and evaluating the best suppliers that meet business standards. Oversee and manage the packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, development, and performance testing.
- Analyze market dynamics to understand upstream cost drivers and its effect on cost and market capacity, develop mitigation strategies where necessary.
- Conduct and lead supplier business reviews in coordination, with ITW internal customers, against the defined KPIs and targeted business outcomes.
- Establish benchmark measures at the start of the project and track success, including cycle times, lead times, savings, improved delivery and simplified processes.
- Researches quality, price, timing, and reliability of supply.
- Develop and prototype packaging designs with marketing, vendors, 3rd party contract manufacturers and customers throughout exploration and feasibility stages.
- Create comprehensive test plans and perform package ship testing to include distribution simulations, material performance, bench-marking, and package/product compatibility.
- Maintain knowledge and evaluate new packaging developments, materials, trends and packaging systems for possible product applications.
- Test, analyze, and selects materials for packaging based on innovation, durability, compatibility and cost effectiveness.
- Provide data to Item Master Gatekeeper regarding updated packaging changes to the Bills of Material (BOMs). Create pallet patterns to support manufacturing protocols. Develops and maintains specifications for new packages.
- Review current packaging with intent to standardize the Value-Added Value Engineering (VAVE) principles.
- Maintains all package component records for new packaging and changes.
- Evaluates and approves changes to existing packaging.
- Works with EHS to assure that package related regulations are understood and met; staying aware of any packaging related regulations.
- Perform basic analysis on bids, proposals, and quotes, and provides data to Director of Purchasing.
- Monitors quality and timely delivery of materials and follows-up with and purchase orders that need attention.
- Responsible for sourcing year over year cost savings.
- Additional job activities as may be required by the Department.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in Engineering or Supply Chain
- Required 3-5 years’ experience with working knowledge in packaging, preferably within the consumer products industry
- Sourcing experience within a range of packaging materials such as: corrugated boxes, plastic bottles, labels, tubes, cans, bags
- Knowledge of JD Edwards ERP system
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills required
- Strong analytical and communication skills needed
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and database applications, general word processing, and MS Outlook capability
- Familiarity with production applications and process required
- Up to 15% travel
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. This job description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this position. Incumbents are required to perform other related functions as assigned.