Founded in 1912, Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified, Fortune 500 manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. Ranked among Fortune Magazine’s most admired companies, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. ITW’s revenues total $14.8 billion in 2018.
This position is within ITW’s Zip-Pak division. Zip-Pak is the global leader in resealable solutions for the flexible packaging industry. Our expertise in zipper, application technology, and packaging systems makes Zip-Pak the primary choice of brand owners, OEM’s, and converters for innovative resealable solutions. Zip-Pak’s lean, modern, and continuous manufacturing environments produce zippers using high-volume plastic extrusion. Manufacturing sites are in the United States, Europe, and South America.
This is 12-hour night shift position from 7pm - 7am.
The Production Supervisor’s role is to oversee the manufacturing area and supervise a team of extrusion operators. Provide leadership and support to the team members. Promote growth for individual operators. Assure team goals for productivity and efficiency are met. At all times observes safety, HACCP/Relevant Food Safety guidelines and policies and assures team members observe same.
- Oversees the manufacturing area and supervises a team of extrusion operators
- Prepares and administers performance evaluations, conduct 30/60/90 reviews, coaching sessions with employees, and administer corrective action as needed.
- Ensure all team members are properly trained to do their job and are properly trained on new technologies/procedures that are introduced.
- Coach through feedback and development and follow change management practices to effectively to plan, implement and evaluate change.
- Interview new hire applicants and recommend qualified applicants for hire. Ensure new hires are trained on all aspects of their job, track their performance and provide progress feedback to the employee and Operations Manager regarding their progress.
- Ensure proper staffing is maintained on shift, i.e., making sure absences, vacations and daily breaks are covered, and that there are adequate personnel to cover shift assignments. Manages efficient use of the workforce.
- Ensure that all food safety programs (HACCP/Relevant Food Safety sanitation guidelines) are followed at all times. Assist in providing training of team members in food safety, food defense, safety and other associated programs as identified by management.
- Promote the 80 / 20 philosophy and demonstrate a clear understanding and adherence of both self and your team.
- Be a company champion. Lead by example. Support and communicate company policies.
- Conduct regular effective team meetings and make small group presentations.
- Identify and solve quality/equipment problems.
- Assist operators with line changeovers, line cleaning, manufacturing supplies.
- Ensure productivity and efficiency goals are met. Monitor target speeds, quick changeovers and improved start-ups. Accurately follows PM schedule.
- Execute MRD production plan
- Maintain a clean and safe work place in accordance with 5S techniques.
- To liaise with the Engineering Department to prioritize breakdowns, tasks and projects to limit the effect on equipment availability and product quality.
Formal Education & Certification
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in business, operations, engineering, or related degree a plus
Knowledge & Experience
- 3 - 5 years of industrial manufacturing experience
- 1 - 3 years previous supervision/leadership experience in a manufacturing environment
- Extrusion knowledge/experience preferred
- Ability to stand on feet 12 hours per shift
- Ability to lift 45 lbs.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure
- Computer and Microsoft Office proficiency (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Ability to prepare reports, presentations, analyses using Microsoft Office
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to motivate others to meet demands established by the production schedule
- Ability to effectively handle pressure and challenges
- The capability to take proactive steps in managing problems
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, life, LTD insurance, 401k (with company match), employee assistance, wellness and 100% tuition reimbursement programs. ITW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.