Sales Engineer – Industrial Components
Sales Engineer – Industrial Components
Position location: Des Plaines, IL
Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. ITW, with approximately 14 billion dollars in global revenues, operates 7 major segments with businesses in 57 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. These talented individuals, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to our global leadership in innovation. We are proud of our broad portfolio of more than 17,000 global patents and patent applications.
Business Unit Description:
ITW Industrial Components, a Business Unit within the ITW Appliance Division, focused on industrial customers and applications. Markets include packaging, transportation, military/aerospace, offroad vehicles, industrial manufacturing, marine, and more. This global division manufactures mechanical, electromechanical and electrical components and assemblies with a variety of manufacturing processes. We have locations in the US, China, Mexico, United Kingdom, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria, New Zealand, & Italy.
The division drives profitability by leveraging its innovative solutions and application engineering. In addition to ITW’s industry leading research and development capabilities, the division enhances our customers’ competitive advantage by…
Maintaining advanced global engineering and manufacturing facilities.
Identifying customer needs to provide continued added value solutions.
Continually improving processes, material and designs to ensure every solution exceeds customer expectations while providing unparalleled value.
This position will be responsible for helping to identify and execute specific strategies to grow revenue and market share in the North American Region. Individual will develop relationships with existing OEM accounts, while pursuing new market opportunities. Objective will be to sell all products within the scope of the Industrial Components’ responsibilities to achieve overall sales plan and personal objectives. The expectation is to learn, understand, and effectively convey features, benefits, and value proposition for all ITW Industrial Components’ products.
Responsibilities and Authority:
- Drive sales through field engagements to grow revenue in all designated or target accounts. Coordinate account service sales activity for all assigned accounts.
- Develops strategies and tactics to defend current business and drive organic growth through the assigned OEM customer base. Takes appropriate steps to protect and safeguard ITW intellectual property.
- Develops sound, long-term customer relationships by providing accurate and timely information to the customer about the Business Units’ progress and intentions. Follows up on action items and provides feedback to ITW teams.
- Defines and pursues new business growth strategies and opportunities by researching the types of business to pursue, likely competition, pricing strategy and assisting with proposal preparation.
- Analyzes program viability and basic business opportunities for the division. Recommends general and specific courses of action and execution path.
- Coordinates technical and business meetings to facilitate the exchange of information with customers, and divisions. Determines strategies for meetings and levels of management to be included.
- Prepares and gives presentations to management on matters concerning OEM Sales Outlook and Annual Planning and analysis, product selection and simplification, changing business environment, technology and innovation at key customers, competitors, or market-segment.
- Provides on-site customer support for ITW Industrial Components’ products and systems as problems or issues occur. Diffuses potential points of contention and overcomes objections. Identifies and facilitates quick disposition of crises related to misunderstands, missed commitments, and field problems.
- Complies with federal, state, and aerospace/military industry regulations by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions (e.g. export compliance; protection of intellectual property).
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending seminars, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks, and/or participating in professional associations.
Position Skills and Experience Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or a technical-related field.
- Three or more years of experience in technical sales, including account management, establishing contacts, and major revenue scope of responsibility.
- Experience with a broad range of company products, technologies, and markets
- Proven experience in negotiating and closing projects. Basic understanding of contractual terms and financial modeling (e.g. proposal evaluation).
- Basic knowledge of program management and business processes and procedures, including technical and business proposal development. Proficient in the use of standard business applications software and specialized CRM programs.
- Advanced excel skills required.
- Ability to respond to significant inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Effectively communicates and influences decisions at all levels of internal and external management and customers.
- Overnight, long distance travel may be required to up to 25%.
- Proven ability to develop and implement business growth strategies and tactics.
- Strong business analytical skills, with 80/20 mindset.
- US Citizenship